PowerBook 3400c Ethernet?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thevividyoshi, Oct 12, 2017.

1. thevividyoshi macrumors newbie

thevividyoshi

I recently acquired a second-hand PowerBook 3400c, which is in a good enough condition (except for the trackpad button, but that's what ADB mice are for). Only problem is, when I try to connect this computer to my Ethernet switch, nothing happens. The Ethernet switch doesn't light up to indicate anything is plugged in, and neither does the PowerBook. I've set the TCP/IP settings to use the Built-In Ethernet, and... nothing.

The computer is running Mac OS 8.6, and the Powerbook 3400/G3 Ethernet extension says it was made for Mac OS 8.1. Could that be what is screwing me over here?

I also read that these models can also have a built-in modem. I've disabled the modem extension, but maybe that isn't enough to get the Ethernet port working for internet access?

If anyone has info on this, or a place where I can get a cheap Ethernet PC card, please let me know!

2. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

3. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

The older port might be particular to certain cables. try a standard cat5, not a 5e, 6 or crossover/patch cable.

Also check the connectors inside the port on the 3400 are clean and in good shape. Some of the contacts/pins can get bent from things getting jammed in there.

Finally, if the port is dead it may be due to a blown capacitor/resistor. If you’re curious enough, open up the machine and inspect both sides of the logic board near the port.

I discovered a blown component was the cause of a non-responsive Firewire port on my PB 12” this way. This was after I spent the time troubleshooting and trying all kinds of software tricks to no avail.

The alternative will be to use an Ethernet PC Card. something the PB12” (and iBooks) could never do.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 12, 2017 ---
    There’s a host of interesting data on compatibility of Ethernet PC Cards for Macs of this era at: http://www.floodgap.com/retrotech/mac/enet3c589/

4. thevividyoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

thevividyoshi

I am not. I thought the Powerbook would be able to do crossover on it's own...
    I am using a standard Cat5 cable, but it doesn't seem to matter. No LEDs glow on either end of the cable... I haven't gotten to opening this laptop yet (I'm afraid I might damage it if I try), so I'll just use a USB or PC card. Thank you!

5. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Crossover is good for point to point connections without a switch or hub in between. In your case you don't need a crossover cable.
    Have you tried booting the PB with the cable already plugged in? From 199X PCs I know this behavior and they work only if the cable is plugged in and then gets booted up

6. thevividyoshi thread starter macrumors newbie

thevividyoshi

Alright, here is where testing things would actually be helpful.
    My test was to connect to the PowerBook 3400c's share with my PowerMac G4. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I checked the LED on the switch. By the time I did this, the light had already turned off, making me think the connection just didn't work. After fiddling with cables and extensions for HOURS, I FINALLY tried going to a website with Netscape, and I found out that the internet IS working. So my problem is actually with the fileshare of Mac OS 8.6. I probably just need to connect manually via IP.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Unfortunately, the problem was my incompetence :oops:

7. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Check TCP/IP control panel, enable Advanced mode from the menu bar and then there should be an Options button which allow you to specify TCP as Active, there is an “always load” checkbox IIRC.

Otherwise the TCP stack will only load as needed, such as when you load a web page. Also i recall there was a “share over TCP/IP” option in the File Sharing control panel.