Powerbook 5,8 Hookup to LCD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Murdoc07, May 21, 2009.

1. Murdoc07 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I have acquired a powerbook 5,8 I read this is the last in the powerbook line. Anyway I got a generic dvi to hdmi adapter and hooked it up to my Samsung LNT4067F LCD tv. I read that this model should support audio out of the dvi slot. The picture works but I'm not getting any sound. I'd rather not purchase a rca cable to go from the headphone jack to my tv if possible. Any solutions? Thanks in advance.

2. edblor macrumors regular

DVI to HDMI will not support sound. DVI to DVI might if both devices support it. HDMI to HDMI will also support sound if both devices support it.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=34&TopicId=11997

3. Murdoc07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've since tried a headphone 3.5mm connection from the optical out headphone jack to the tv headphone port, 3.5mm to rca connection, and now toslink with 3.5mm adapter to tv. None of these has worked to get sound working. Took it into apple store and they said if headphones work, which they do, then it must be the tv. It's only 2 years old or so and the fiber optic feed light is on in the back so not thinking its borked. My last option is to hookup to the optical coaxial on my philips surround sound tuner. If that doesn't work I'll just give up :p