Powerbook 64 freezes before I can clean install

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by growe618, Jan 12, 2009.

1. growe618 macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook G4 (aluminum series, 17") and it started to freeze a few days ago. I'm trying to do a clean install, but every time I restart the computer it freezes before I can even get the startup disk to run. Is there another way I can re-set/or do a clean install without having to run the disks? Or maybe a special button/combination of things or stick a paperclip somewhere...

I have tried to reset the PRAM and I've done Command + Option + Power, and it still freezes after a few minutes.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem is you are trying to fix a hardware fault with a software solution. You might start diagnosing your problem with the hardware test CD that came with your Mac. You could also try to start the Mac in Single User Mode and running fsck, but I doubt this will help as the problem appears to be more serious than that. It could also be bad RAM -- so removing whatever RAM you may have added is something to try.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The optical drive or hard drive could be going? Do you have another Mac with a CD/DVD drive and put it in target disc mode and use that Mac's optical drive to reinstall the software? Like the earlier poster said, try removing your RAM and using one stick in both slots and swapping slots and RAM to diagnose if it's bad RAM.