Powerbook 800mhz burn firewire devices!

SIMON DOLAN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
Hi,

My powerbook as burn two firewire devices (digital video camera and ext. hard disk). Have you experience that thing? The devices were on...

First, I did plug my camera a couple of times and I worked. After the i.Link (firewire) is not found by any computer. So the I.Link blew! The camera still work except for the firewire link!

Today, I unplug my ext. hard disk from my PC tower and I did plug it in the powerbook. Instantly, the screen of the powerbook shut off and I smell a chip burning... I tought it was my powerbook, I shut it, unplug the hard disk. After the reset, it work well. I put my nose near the hard disk and "that smell" came from there.

So I can say that the reason of the blowing is to plug my hard disk in my powerbook!
Both of the devices were on...

Simon
:(

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
SIMON DOLAN said:
Hi,

My powerbook as burn two firewire devices (digital video camera and ext. hard disk). Have you experience that thing? The devices were on...

Simon
:(
Could you be clearer in describing what happened. What you said really doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Blue Moon

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Los Angeles
crackrock said:
I run my firewire hard drive to the ground, a year and a half standing...

it's a cheap one too, a 'fantom drives' hd
Are you talking about the devices being defective or the ports?

Comment

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
A company I once visited had brought a external FireWire drive. They plugged it into a G4 Tower, it didn't work. They then plugged it into another G4 tower - same problem, then another.

They killed the firewire on 3 machines, it was a dodgy firewire cable.

Comment

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Firewire cables carry power.

The housings of Firewire jacks in devices are somewhat prone to spreading apart, making them loose. Then, it is relatively easy to force a FW400 cable in upside down - that is, swapping the blunt end for the pointed end.
Connect the power leads to the data leads and... fzzt.

And as pointed out earlier, a shorted cable will work just as well to do damage.

Your best defence is not to continually plug FW in and out. If you still must exchange cables frequently, then buy a Firewire hub and let it absorb the damage.

Comment

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
ok

perfectly said i have stopped plugging stuff in and out brough a usb/ firewire hub off ebay for £18 bargain saves my pb

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.