Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjedlik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Hi. I have a powerbook G4 1.67, 10.5, and I would like to know if it is possible to make a Planex GW-US300GXS 802.11n USB dongle work on it. Unfortunatelly, this dongle is made only for Windows, there are know drivers for Macs yet. Are there any other workarounds? Perhaps drivers from jsome other manufacturers would work in this situation? I have already tried installing the software from quickertek, but it failed to recognize it. Thanks.

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
I don't know that you need any drivers. I bought a cheap, generic 802.11n USB dongle on eBay (~$10), and it works great in my 12" 1.2GHz G4 iBook with 10.5.4. is there any way to test the dongle you've got in a PC to make sure it works? Sorry I can;t give you more specific info, as I just sold the iBook a few hours ago, so I can;t check the info screen and name the manufacturer.

jjedlik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Thank you for the reply. I cannot test it on a pc. I plugged it in my powerbook, and I just don`t know what to do next. The info panel for the network interface en1 says I have "Wireless network adapter (802.11b/g)". Should I somehow try to disable the built-in adapter and enable the USB dongle? How can I do it then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.