PowerBook and earpods?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Sep 29, 2013.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just wondering if there's any app or anything I can install that will recognize the control features of the iPhone earpods?

The set I got with my iPhone 5 last year works just fine with my iPhone 5 and my iPod Nano 5th gen. But, of course, not with my PowerBook.

There was a update that I installed that got my PowerBook to recognize the MagicMouse and MagicPrefs cover programming it. So that's why I'm wondering here if there is anything to get my Mac to recognize the controller on my earpods.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

it's a hardware problem. software wont fix it.

i believe they added it to the macbook pros around mid 2008, (it was the version after the one i had)

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's a hardware feature that your Powerbook doesn't have. If you look at the rings on your iPhone earbuds, you'll notice three rings. The third ring is for the microphone and it used as for the controller as well. Powerbooks lack the needed extra ring terminus inside the audio jack to connect to that ring. I think it's starting with the 2010 or 2011 Macs that they are able to use the iPhone earbud microphone and controller.

4. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ah, ok guys. Thanks!

I figured that it was probably hardware and I didn't want to spend a day or so Googling for something that I will never find. You don't know unless you ask and now I know.

Sounds like the MacPro at work should handle it though.

Thanks again!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think a MacPro will be able to use it. Their audio ports are still using the 2009, possibly 2006, design and may not warrant an upgrade to the third ring due to their desktop design.

6. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! OK, thanks. I'm just lazy and pressing the buttons on the controller is easier than the buttons on the keyboard so that's why I was wondering.

On another somewhat related note, I do find it hilarious though that during setup of the MP at work I got all this pressure about Facetime and iSight when the MP is just the box itself with the keyboard and mouse. The only iSight that thing will ever see is the external I bought for my PowerBook. :D

7. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

My MBA recognizes them fine (of course) but my 2007 MBP doesn't like them. So maybe 2008 and newer macs will use them properly. Can someone confirm this? :D

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think it's 2010 unibody MacBooks only. I don't think iMacs of any age can use them. Neither can Mac Minis or Mac Pros. I could be wrong about the iMac and Mac Mini though.

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

My 2011 iMac works like a charm with them. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of information out there about which models work with the remote and which don't, but at least by mid 2011, the iMacs were.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Of note, OS X recognizes the controls on Bluetooth headphones just fine, regardless of model of Mac. (As long as it has Mac OS X 10.5 or newer.)

11. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I have a late '08 MacBook and I can use the controls from the Apple earbuds (not earpods, but have the same controller I assume) in iTunes.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unibodies, yes. The older non-unibodies, no. That was the context of my post.