Powerbook Batteries... (UK)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by acearchie, Apr 5, 2008.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Im sitting here on my 12" powerbook G4 nearly coming up to its 3rd birthday!

Sadly as soon as I take the power charger out I get the reserve battery warning, this kind of makes the computer unusable as a portable! However most of the new batteries I've seen around are either cheap chinese makes or very expensive!

I mean a £70 battery for a machine perhaps only worth 3 times that doesnt seem plausible but when I come to selling it, it would be a lot easier with new 100% power battery!

So anyone know any cheap sites where I can get one?

Thanks

List:

1. I didn't think that eBay would be a good option but I found this battery... Can anyone tell me if these specs are reasonable of if there is anything I should look for in a battery?

2. Just out of interest it is £90 on Apples UK site but is there anyway to find out what the specs of an apple supplied battery are?

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I reckon a 12" PB would sell quite well - there's nothing like it now.

I'd suggest looking at ditching it.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I know, its suggested I could get about £400 for it since its a maxed out model, and only a few little problems!

But it would sell better with a new battery as opposed to a battery than can last about 5 mins!

Thanks though!

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Check with Apple about the various battery recall programmes - if your machine is 3 years old it could well be part of one of the recalls.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I was only aware of one recall program which got me a new battery practically straight after getting my laptop! I will check again right now but sadly I think thats out of the question!

Thanks for the reminder though!

6. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I sold a 3 year old 15" PB with a totally broken screen for £320.

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well there's a plus...

If i throw my ethical responsibilities aside I could sell it on loot or eBay to someone for quite a bit if money.

I recently saw an ibook g4 sell for £450 because he had written his article like this:

So you never know whats possible.

Anyway on topic: I've been searching the product number and found that from reputable retailers the lowest price is around £39 (not incl. p&p)
    And from eBay it can be about £26 (incl. p&p)

Thanks

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

£39 plus carriage is ok - if/when you sell it in eBay you can sell it with a clear conscience. Go for the reputable....

Batteries are really almost consumables and 3 years is ok for a consumable item.

9. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok thanks for the insight.

I found an brand new drum mat hanging around my house as I got a new bigger one as they mucked up the order and i didnt have to give it back. I might sell it and buy a battery!

Are there any side effects to buying the new battery keeping it rapped up and continue to use this battery as a placeholder when plugged in?

Then I can sell it with a brand new battery which may get me a better price!

What I mean is there any chance my comp would melt or self combust?

Thanks