Powerbook: Battery Not Connected

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dronecatcher, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Dronecatcher, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

My 667 Ti-book has suddenly developed a headache.
    Despite having a nearly new battery, it's refusing to charge it properly and reporting it as "not connected."
    I've tried the usual remedies: reset PRAM & PMU, removed battery and pressed power button for 10 seconds - removing the battery works briefly - the battery appears - but then the "X" appears in the icon and it's not there again.
    In the profiler, the power info varies from an expected reading to no battery at all in sync with the menu bar icon.
    I've reinstalled Tiger but it hasn't solved the problem either.
    At one point after removing the battery, it reported 92% charge before saying not connected, so I left it on to drain the power to see if that would make any difference.
    It lasted over 5 hours before dying, so it's not like the battery is done for (it's LED indicators also appear to work OK).
    Right now I'm recharging it but every 10 minutes or so the charger indicator goes from orange to green and I have to remove/replace the battery to get it charging again.
    Has anyone had any experience of this?

EDIT: May have resolved this - I've discovered on this model there's a PMU reset switch under the back cover - I was trying the multi-keypress method. After pressing switch, battery info is reporting correctly and is charging OK.
    EDIT: Seemed OK for 20 minutes, battery steadily charging now it's gone again.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've had issues with some aftermarket TiBook batteries being a shade too small. I've had at least one where I used a cardboard shim at the front of the battery compartment to keep the battery contacts in place.

3. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl. Although the battery does appear to fit ok, there isn't the resounding click you'd expect once it latches in, so hopefully, that might be it.

4. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

No luck with that - charged for 10 Minutes then disappeared again. Guess I'm stuck with a bad battery - despite having a 5 hour life :mad:

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had this issue with another 17" PB I had. But the battery was crap. However, switching it to another battery I knew was ok didn't do anything. It would show charging briefly when logging in but then I'd get the 'X'. Same happened in all accounts, even new accounts I created strictly to test.

The DC-In board I knew was good so this led me to one other part and that was the battery connector. It's the part that goes from the battery to the logicboard. Unfortunately, before I could test that theory the Mac died so I will never know. But might be a place to start looking.

If the battery is good and the DC-In board is good and then you find the battery connector is good, then the only other place in the charging system is the logicboard. Had I found that the connector was good then that would have been my ultimate conclusion.

One other thing to try is a fresh reinstall of the OS, but I didn't try that because I had so much stuff on there and that's pretty major. It would have been my next step before I faulted the logicboard though.

6. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I checked the motherboard connector and all appears ok, no free play or anything loose...well, as much as can be deduced by poking it with your finger :)
    I have found that running coconut battery monitor whilst charging increases the time before the battery periodically 'disappears.'
    Apart from the possibility of the battery or logic board being defective, my only other thought is that the PRAM battery is dying and scrambling the main battery status info - that's if it's used in that capacity?

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I had an issue similar to this. The battery would only charge while the laptop had its lid shut.

8. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I had considered whether all the sleep/energy settings could have gone glitchy in some way - I'd have thought the re-installation would've ironed them out.

9. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I just figured that the battery was bad and it didn't like to be charged and discharged at the same time. Do you have an official charger?

10. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

It's not the original for the Ti-book but it is an Apple one, a 45W model. Maybe the Ti-book requires a 65W? Even so, it's been fine for the 5 months since I got it.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't think the 667 does (don't quote me on that) but my son's DVI does require 65W.

12. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

According to MacTracker, i45W should be enough for the DVI.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Some 65W chargers won't physically fit the TiBooks.

AFAIK, all call for 45W.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Really? Hmmm. I ordered him a 65w one when I got the Mac. Maybe I just assumed it needed 65 then. Thanks!

15. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Um, the 1Ghz does call for the 65w charger.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK. That's what I thought.

My son's Mac is the 1.0Ghz Titanium PowerBook G4 DVI.

17. SecretSquirrel macrumors member

I had the exact same problem with a new iBook battery a while ago. It was cheap and nasty and after the third cycle just wouldn't play nicely with the iBook. I replaced it with a not-so-cheap alternative and problem was solved. I googled around at the time and found some info which indicated that the circuitry on board the battery was at fault. I tried everything like you have to try and clear it but no success.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My money would be on a bad battery itself. If you have an old one, even if it is completely dead it should be identified by the computer all of the time. Short of finding an old battery or buying a new one, I am not sure of any other tests.

19. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Yes, it's looking that way. Such a shame though as in other regards the battery is healthy.

20. Dronecatcher thread starter macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I'll have to put it down to experience - these machines aren't getting any younger!

21. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Do you have a different power brick you can try? I have a powerbook that won't charge with one particular brick. Works fine with others though.

If you get it charging, could try gently wiggling connectors and flexing wires. Maybe there's a flaky connection somewhere.