Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I'm not new to the forums, but I am a recent switcher. I was thinking about getting a UPS for my new Powerbook, but I had just one question. Will the powerbook battery act as a UPS incase the power goes out, or there are brownouts? One would think the battery would kick in right away. Is this true? Will the PB battery protect the PB during a power outage?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Capt Underpants said:
I'm not new to the forums, but I am a recent switcher. I was thinking about getting a UPS for my new Powerbook, but I had just one question. Will the powerbook battery act as a UPS incase the power goes out, or there are brownouts? One would think the battery would kick in right away. Is this true? Will the PB battery protect the PB during a power outage?

yes it will, but it probably better for the power adaptor for it not to get turn on and off very quickly, but i am sure the quality control ppl actually tested it. it wouldn't hurt to use a battery backup. for me personally, i just use good surge supressor to prevent from a powerspike. if you ever had a computer fried my lighting its a sad sad sad sight nad it doesn't smell good either. i.e. the power adaptor won't prevent your PB from lighting.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
You can easily test this by unplugging the power cord or turning off the power strip/surge protector.

As for good surge protector (and I don't mean your run of the mill Belkin or APC brand ones), check out brickwall.com. Yes, they're pricey, but you wanted cheap, you wouldn't buy a Mac in the 1st place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.