Powerbook buying dilema

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
360
0
London
The situation:

I currently have a 2 1/2 yr old iBook (900Mhz G3) that is beginning to show its age. Not unusable mind you but definitely a lot more noticeable since I bought my iMac.

I'd like to upgrade to a PowerBook, but this is where i'm faced with a bit of a dilemma.

The new Intel PowerBooks *should* be available some time in the second half of next year. That said I'd really still like to have a PPC PowerBook for at least a year after the new Intel ones are released, until all the gremlins and such have been sorted out.

Ideally I'd like to buy a PowerBook now which should last me 2 years and put nicely in place to buy a Rev B (or C) Intel PowerBook in a couple of years time, once software availability etc is less of an issue.

Problem is I think that the current PowerBook line up is chronically underpowered for the price point. (Though obviously still much better than my current iBook)

So here are what I've identified as my options.
1. Stick with my iBook until the Intel PowerBooks are released and get a Rev A one.
Pros: Get a (hopefully) better value for money machine
Cons: Have to live with the iBook for at least another year (not that huge a deal but defn annoying)
Have to deal with all the possible gremlins of a Rev A machine as well as finding native x86 software etc.

2. Buy a PowerBook now (or when the next update comes if in the next two months) and hang on till at least Rev B or C for the Intel PowerBook.
Pros: Replacing my iBook with something that is much better
Cons: Buying something that I don't think is worth the price point.

Any thoughts?
Specifically do you think the next PowerBook update aught to improve the situation, (with regard to value for money). I imagine they'll just bump up the processor maybe the graphics card, hopefully drop the price a bit. (or am I dreaming on the last one?)
 

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
1,484
18
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I say wait for an update in the Powerbook then go from there. You shoudl be able to manage with the iBook until then. You said that you have an iMac now so i am guessing the iBook is not the heavy lifter in the house.

Wait and see what the updates bring to the powerbook line then make your choice.
 
Comment

skibum

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
4
0
virginia
I too am trying to decide what to do about a new powerbook. I have been waiting for a while and can get one tax free this weekend, 5% off, which will come to about $150. Should I wait for next update and just pay the tax? I was planning on getting a 12" w/ 20" acd, but now I'm thinking about a 15" w/ the display, I would have to give up the superdrive though.
 
Comment

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
360
0
London
prostuff1 said:
I say wait for an update in the Powerbook then go from there. You shoudl be able to manage with the iBook until then. You said that you have an iMac now so i am guessing the iBook is not the heavy lifter in the house.

Wait and see what the updates bring to the powerbook line then make your choice.
True it's not the heavy lifter when I'm at home, just a bit of web surfing etc. But when I'm away from home (which is reasonably often) it does become the heavy lifter. That said its not unbearable, just annoying.
 
Comment

lfielder06

Guest
Dec 5, 2004
193
0
Why not just get an ibook now and see what happens with the powerbook? Mac notebooks hold their value very well so you could just sell it when the powerbooks are where you would like them to be.
 
Comment

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
1,348
441
I'm in more or less the same situation as you are. Here's what I'm thinking. I need a new laptop by the beginning-ish of this school year. I have a mac mini that I could use for a couple of weeks, but certainly by the winter (when I travel with the ski team) I will need a laptop that I can take on the road. Here are my options:

Option 1:
Buy 15" powerbook now -- Get to use a nice new computer now that will last me at least 4 years. However, I am buying at the end of the line for PPC. I will buy on tax free holiday. Total cost about $1700 to $2000 (possibly refurbished).

Option 2:
Wait until last minute to but 15" powerbook -- I wait until Paris to buy my new 'book, and could benefit from an update, but could just as easily see nothing (in which case it would have been better to have it for all of sept.) No tax free holiday. Total cost: who knows???

Option 3:
Buy 12" ibook now -- Will have to expand HD and purchase a usb input device for my guitar like this one since there is no audio in. Total cost about $1300 (tax-free). This would hold me over until the good intel powerbooks 2 years later.

Right now I'm thinkin either option 1 or 3. Depends if my practical side takes over, or if I just end up saying "screw it" and get a sweet powerbook now. What would you do? What would Jesus do?
 
Comment

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
207
12
Burton michigan
jesus would create a powerbook G193 for himself.......then laugh at you


I'm in the same boat though, friday I'm looking to score a powerbook with a new ipod mini (education deal ooow) I'm not sure if I should wait or just go with whats there
 
Comment

enckwanzer

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2005
35
0
Charleston, IL, USA
Wait until next Tuesday. There's another thread (just a few down from here) of someone getting their order delayed, which could be a sign of an update coming soon. It might not be, but a waiting a couple of extra business days can't hurt too much....
 
Comment

asanchezm

macrumors member
May 12, 2005
30
0
Powerbooks are truly and accomplishment for apple, they seem to defy Moore's Law with ease.

I've also been waiting for a powerbook update, but the average update time on macrumors is useless if you look at the time period of the most recent laptop upgrades. Lately I've been seriously tempted at switching to a PC again.... :mad:
 
Comment

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
460
0
PowerBooks will NOT get updated anytime soon; maybe October, or right before the xmas holidays.

We know that to be true. Know, not 'factually,' but with our perceptiveness and instincts.

But none of us seem to believe or own reason. That's Apple's master plan working effectively --- the perpetuation of indecision, obsessive-compulsiveness and the disease of over-consummerism.

But again, we won't believe it, will sit on our cash, and bite our thumbs, hoping for what we know won't happen; in more blunt terms, be slaves to delusion.
 
Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
If you are interested in a PowerBook, you should purchase now. Think that you would be smart to wait for the Rev. B of the Intel PowerBook.
 
Comment

huffdesign

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
3
0
I would buy

I would go ahead and buy. Intel Powerbooks may be delivered as promised, just like the 3ghz G5 was. Also, I would never buy first generation of any hardware or software to let the fixes be made and save headaches. So that would put your wait too far out for me. Enjoy the pleasure of a powerbook now.
 
Comment

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
360
0
London
Well here's an update:

I'd just about decided to wait for the next PowerBook update and then pounce, well my flat mate's decided to move in with his gf. So i'm gonna need to buy a new TV, may as well get a nice big one huh... so i guess the iBook will have to last. Bah ....
 
Comment

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
559
0
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
djkny said:
PowerBooks will NOT get updated anytime soon; maybe October, or right before the xmas holidays.

We know that to be true. Know, not 'factually,' but with our perceptiveness and instincts.

But none of us seem to believe or own reason. That's Apple's master plan working effectively --- the perpetuation of indecision, obsessive-compulsiveness and the disease of over-consummerism.

But again, we won't believe it, will sit on our cash, and bite our thumbs, hoping for what we know won't happen; in more blunt terms, be slaves to delusion.
I disagree. My intuition says very strongly that PowerBook updates are imminent. To put logic behind my prediction, the iBook's new price points leave room for its big brother to slide down a couple hundred dollars in conjunction with a similar update.

Will we see dual-core pbooks? No! Will we see G5's? Are you nuts?

I would guess the high-end (17" and 15" w/super) will reach about 1.8 gigs (woohoo!) with better graphics cards. It's very possible more ram may be standard, but I doubt a notebook would receive this before the powermac. I'm not sure if anything will happen with the hd's-perhaps a minor bump there.

But anyway...my money says they'll be updated soon, though it will be far from spectacular.
 
Comment

enckwanzer

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2005
35
0
Charleston, IL, USA
chucknorris said:
But anyway...my money says they'll be updated soon, though it will be far from spectacular.
I like the way you think. The reasons you give and the updates you suggest are some of the very reasons I'm waiting just a few more days.... Of course, with my luck the update will happen the week after I finally buy :rolleyes:
 
Comment

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
460
0
chucknorris said:
I disagree. My intuition says very strongly that PowerBook updates are imminent. To put logic behind my prediction, the iBook's new price points leave room for its big brother to slide down a couple hundred dollars in conjunction with a similar update.


Trust me, I HOPE you're right. I really, really want to believe this! But, with Paris Expo "just around the corner" (at least in tech terms), I think SJ is planning on making an announcement, then.

I just don't think Apple would update the PB line and allow that to qualify for the free ipod mini via the "Student Union" Promo. Maybe they'll exclude it and go ahead and update for Back to School. That's what I want to believe like you! :)
 
Comment

nekky

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
1
0
I freakin hope that they don't update them right away. I just got mine 2 days ago! It's a good deal with the $225 iPod credit too. I made sure to ask about price protection, and they (Apple) told me that it was 30 days. I wonder if this was 30 days from the date of the order, or 30 days from the date of receiving? Either way, we'll see. I wouldn't be terribly pissed if there was an update, but I'd sure as hell want some compensation. You think Apple would let me pack my PB back up and send it back (within the 30 days of course) even if I was just doing it to order a new one? Also, if they didn't wanna do that, would they give me price protection? Keep in mind that I'm not expecting "factual" answers; I just like hearing opinions like everyone else. How would they come up with a dollar amount to compensate me, if, for example, there were *both* a 1. Price drop, and 2. Speed bump/etc.? If there were just a price drop, well, that's pretty obvious. If there's an actual product update, well then that's what gets me wondering. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which I'll want more: the compensation cheque, or the new Powerbook.... I'll probably want the new powerbook, which will just cause more trouble due to shipping and all that stuff. Hence me not wanting there to be a product update! :p I'm just rambling, but your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Zac
 
Comment

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
207
12
Burton michigan
dates change= update...sometimes

most of the time when they push the dates back they are getting ready to bring out the new powerbooks. granted speeds will be minimal upgrades but I'd settle for a 1.8 ghz (praying for a 2ghz) powerbook. they pushed back shipping dates on the mini and ibook and BAM new ones.....

heres a couple of questions though

1. would apple release ibooks one week then a new mouse the next and THEN have powerbook updates after that? it seems like they would be pushing out to much stuff at once

2. well forgot....

anyways, I hope to see an update this tuesday. if there is I'll be placing my order same day! I hope they release new ones even with a minor speed bump a new powerbook along with a ipod mini is what I like =)
 
Comment

drbrog

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
92
0
Chicago
Get powerbook now

I don't believe a powerbook update is coming anytime soon. Moreover, I don't see a significant upgrade with that update. Perhaps a minor processor speed bump, dual layer superdrive, possibly a new "mighty mouse" trackpad.
Powerbooks are expensive but they are truly well engineered. I'd go for the powerbook now and upgrade to an intel rev.b or c.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.