Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NateP

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
I've got a PB G4 12" that's about a month old.

Just today, I noticed that a bit of the casing on the right side seems to be loose. It's the part of the casing just to the right of the latch release button, between the battery and the palmrest. (This is the piece that's like a strip of aluminum that goes all the way around the computer, making up the vertical component of the case.) Between the right corner of the computer and the latch, it seems to be a little loose, bowing outward just a tiny bit. It also looks like there maybe a tiny bit of play between that bit and the edge of the horizontal palmrest. I mostly notice because it seems somewhat assymmetrical with the left hand (non-battery compartment) side.

So, is this something I should worry about? Is it normal? Is it worth trekking into my Apple Store for? Should I expect anything of Apple?

Thanks in advance.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
NateP said:
I've got a PB G4 12" that's about a month old.

Just today, I noticed that a bit of the casing on the right side seems to be loose. It's the part of the casing just to the right of the latch release button, between the battery and the palmrest. (This is the piece that's like a strip of aluminum that goes all the way around the computer, making up the vertical component of the case.) Between the right corner of the computer and the latch, it seems to be a little loose, bowing outward just a tiny bit. It also looks like there maybe a tiny bit of play between that bit and the edge of the horizontal palmrest. I mostly notice because it seems somewhat assymmetrical with the left hand (non-battery compartment) side.

So, is this something I should worry about? Is it normal? Is it worth trekking into my Apple Store for? Should I expect anything of Apple?

Thanks in advance.

go to the apple store.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
There will be variation in all of the computers...chances are if you took it back to them and somehow managed to get another one, it'd have some little flaw in the casing like this one. Also the battery well is notoriously loose in 'Books, and the battery usually has some "play". :)

If it's worth anything my iBook's screen is the tiniest bit crooked, and the battery hangs out beneath the level of the bottom of the case slightly.

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
Many Many PB's have problems with the casing coming loose over some time and having somewhat of a gap.

Im quite surprised that this happened in only a month.

My buddy's old TiBook 1Ghz just did this a month or two ago.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It likely is just a cosmetic thing, but still worth going to the store if it bothers you (or if it gets worse, definitely take it in!)

One thing that seems more common is wobbly PowerBooks, where the case is slightly warped so all 4 rubber pads aren't flush against the tabletop, desktop, etc. Kind of annoying more than anything else-

NateP

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Yeha, I have the warped thing going on. I sort of assumed that it had to do with imperfectly level tables and such.

Thanks. I might take it in, but I might just call AppleCare, since I'm still in my 90 days.

But it seems this isn't something to worry about, then?

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Mine has a slight bow in the middle just about the latch. Also if I press down on the right side of my PowerBook, I can feel the case "click" against the SuperDrive quietly. It kind of annoys me, but I am a perfectionist and sometimes just have to "click" it to see if it is still there. But oh well. I'm out of the warranty and it's not a big deal. My machine works perfectly fine. I just tend to look for imperfections since I like everything to be perfect. :p

ajampam

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
I have been noticing with my 12' PB too.....the battery casing thingy just...just juts out and is not level....but I noticed only recently....when I press there a little it goes in and stays lush level with the rest of the casing...have to see how it goes I guess...I just dont want to see the whole thing crash out someday....oh no...that would not be good now, would it????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.