PowerBook Charging Problem- Replace Bottom Case?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dvdhsu, Dec 31, 2008.

1. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

My PowerBook 12" 1.33ghz suffered a nasty fall in Las Vegas this week. It fell from the trunk onto the hard cement floor, and now refuses to charge.
    When I plug the Charger in, nothing happens. However, if I press it in, it works perfectly.
    Now, I have no idea what I should go about doing. Should I replace the DC in board, or should I replace the whole bottom case?
    Happy New Year!
    Thanks,
    David

Attached Files:

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If you are going to replace the DC board you might as well replace the bottom casing since you have to remove it. iFixit should have the parts you need.

3. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

The solder connection must have broken from the board. use ifixit and use the steps to take the Powerbook apart and solder the power plug back to the board, I have seen this happen a few times, just takes a little patience and time but can be fixed, just need a fine tip solder iron and a steady hand, Radioshack has solder irons for less then ten bucks. As for the case if can live with the dent you can save youself a few hunderd buck for a case. just get a hard shell case to cover the Powerbook that way you dont have to be reminded of the dent.