powerbook compatibility

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Oct 5, 2015.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Aug 13, 2011
    Are the 12" powerbook parts interchangeable with the 15" powerbooks?

I'm asking because the upgrades/repairs that I need/want to do are pretty expensive and if I can just take these parts from a much cheaper machine with those parts still in working condition I would rather do that.

The parts specifically are as follows:

1. PRAM battery
    2. RAM (I'm pretty sure the RAM is but the PRAM is the important one)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
  2. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2015
    Lead The Way!
    The 12in PowerBook doesn't use PRAM batteries.(Correct me if I am wrong)

Ram should be compatible depending on the type. For example, my PowerBook G4 PC2700U DRR ram so thats the ram it needs.
  3. MacCubed macrumors 68000

Apr 26, 2014
    You're correct, no PRAM in the 12". The date is stored in the main battery and a capacitor on the LB. The RAM should work depending on the 12" that you have. The RAM from a 12" in a DLSD won't work. Note that there is onboard RAM in the 12", so not all of the RAM will be pulled. PRAMs are cheap and use a basic disc looking battery that can be bought at RadioShack for cheap(not to sure on this but I think you can replace the battery only and save the board, which is why I'm making that comment). But a main battery really is the key. There are cheap 13$ batteries on eBay, I bought one and its working fine it's at around 50 cycles and at 83% it arrived at 95% I guess it had been sitting... Also, an SSD would really help with performance. You can get a decent mSATA drive for 30$ with 64-128GB in capacity, make sure you get an enclosure with a Marvell chipset, it is the more reliable and faster chip. All in all, you should have a good working PowerBook in the end. The parts you mention aren't too expensive either, I got 2GB DDR2 for 13$
  4. flyrod macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2015
    2.5" disk, CD/DVD drive, possibly ram, airport card, possibly keyboard keys, probably various screws... not much else that I can think of.