Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Is it possible, and if so how, to use my Powerbook as an external monitor for a Mac-Mini ( or other mac )? The reason I'm asking, is I'm thinking of gettinng a Intel Mini ( if the rumours are true ) but don't wish to have a seperate monitor etc. My Powerbook will remain my primary machine.

On a related thought - My Powerbook screen is due to be replaced soon ( it has a small white fuzzy patch but is still quite useable ) - If I get the old screen after its been removed, is there any fairly easy way use it as an external monitor - ie wire up the leads coming out of the bottom of the screen unit to get power and to plug into my Powerbooks monitor port.

Hope this makes some sort of sense!! LOL

If have Powerbook 1.25mhz

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
jbrown said:
Is it possible, and if so how, to use my Powerbook as an external monitor for a Mac-Mini ( or other mac )? The reason I'm asking, is I'm thinking of gettinng a Intel Mini ( if the rumours are true ) but don't wish to have a seperate monitor etc. My Powerbook will remain my primary machine.

On a related thought - My Powerbook screen is due to be replaced soon ( it has a small white fuzzy patch but is still quite useable ) - If I get the old screen after its been removed, is there any fairly easy way use it as an external monitor - ie wire up the leads coming out of the bottom of the screen unit to get power and to plug into my Powerbooks monitor port.

No for both. The screen is designed to be used with the laptop, not as an external monitor. It would add a lot of cost, and the functionality wouldn't be that great of an addition for the price. Not to mention it would be much thicker with all the extra components.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
It does make sense, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The PowerBook's video hardware does not support any sort of video input (only output). Beyond that, hardwiring an LCD ribbon to a DVI cable is a lot more work and difficulty than it might seem. Although you've got the straight digital connection, there's no matchup pin for pin.

In other words, you'll have to buy a separate display for your new machine (even if they were to give you the old PB panel, which they won't).

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
And a quick browse through the Search function would be in order, we've covered this at least 6 times in the past few months with different Powerbooks and iMacs posited as displays for other machines.

EDIT - OK, so a search for this isn't so easy; the word Display is used far too often, and there isn.t much consistency on how this question would be phrased...

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Thanks for the quick reply.

Seems like a real waste - I had the nice idea that I could hinge the old screen to the underside of the wall shelves above my desk, so I could pull the screen down when I needed it. Or even plaster it into the wall - something cool like that:D

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
It's possible, you can boot in firewire disk mode, and boot from the mini's hard drive.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Yes you can target a Firewire External HDD with a mac mini, kind of irritating to set up though.....

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
An external hard drive in the same computer, yes, you can boot from that. You can't boot another computer over Firewire onto a local display. Target disk mode won't help you.

bgd

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
SG
You could use a VNC server on your mini and a client on your PB, if you a have a network of some description. There are limitations (e.g. not so good for viewing video) but it may suit depending on how you use it. Certainly worked well enough for me in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.