Powerbook display not working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by carryonplease, Mar 26, 2008.

1. carryonplease macrumors member

Today i turned on my powerbook (g4 17") and i see a white screen. usually it just means its booting up but upon further inspection, i realize that the computer is on the log in screen, and somehow the display is not working. the light is not on either

im hoping an external monitor can be a quick fix for this, but can anyone shed some light on what is happening?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Either the Videocard is having problems or your power inverter is screwed.

TEG

3. carryonplease thread starter macrumors member

are those expensive fixes and would an external display fix that?

4. carryonplease thread starter macrumors member

ive done some more reading, and since i had broken a hinge recently it might be a fried wire or something. but what is the cheapest option for an external display? all i know if the monitor output in the back has 8 pins.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any VGA or DVI display can connect to the DVI port on the side (VGA will need the converter that came with your computer).

TEG

6. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I have a 1.5 GHz PBG4, and I may have had a problem similar to yours...I went to turn my laptop on, and the screen wasn't visible. It was only upon careful inspection that I saw the screen was working, it just wasn't illuminated. Took it to Apple, the said I needed a new backlight. Cost $300 (I think), but they covered it...this was a bit less than 2 yrs ago.