Resolved PowerBook Display Problems (1.5 GHz)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperCompu2, Dec 29, 2011.

1. SuperCompu2, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm having trouble with my PowerBook's display. It displays garbled for about a few seconds, then fades to gray just before fully loading. Video displays fine through DVI-out. I'm trying to discern whether this is a video cable problem or the whole LCD. I am REALLY hoping this isn't a logic board issue, but that doesn't seem very likely as the video out still works fine.

Here's a video of the computer starting up. Skip to 0:35 to see the magic happen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nflg4-hLdpo

This is a 15" PowerBook G4 A1106 model. Perhaps someone has had similar issues to this before?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Well I'd say your logic board should be fine, since it shows fine over DVI, can't tell if it's the whole display or the cabling though. If I were trying to fix with no idea which one it was I'd go for the cable first since you can probably pick one up online for a few dollars.

3. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I would guess it is the video connector on the logic board. I have issues with my powerbook 15" as well. I have to reseat it very well, or else I would not have any video output on the LCD display.

4. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Do you think it simply needs to be reseated? Or is this something happening at the solder/board level? I reallllllllly don't want to have to replace the board on this old of a machine, especially when I could get nearly as much use out of it in clamshell mode...

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd replace the whole display. Unless you are a very patient person, getting the back of the LCD off is very difficult. I replaced the LVDS cable on one of my Macs and ended up with a Frankenmac because I just about destroyed the hooks and bezel trying to get the back off. IMHO, it's just not worth the aggravation of trying to get to the cable.

Also, used displays on eBay are cheap. After my LVDS debacle I got a used 17" display off eBay for $80. 15" should be cheaper. Don't buy into those guys that want $300+ just for the display only (no bezel and hardware). Screens are out there for good prices if you are willing to spend time looking.

The fact that you are driving a second display just fine is a big clue that it's NOT the logic board.

6. SuperCompu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Well, I have taken apart MANY PowerBooks before, so perhaps the cable might be an easier fix. Glad to hear so many responses though, thanks guys!

I could have nabbed a display for 40 bucks earlier this month, but held back. Hopefully an equally enticing deal will come around!