Powerbook... Do I buy, or do I wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by a.k.a. Melvin, May 16, 2005.

  1. a.k.a. Melvin macrumors newbie

    May 16, 2005
    Studio City, CA
    I am trying to decide whether or not to buy a PowerBook or to wait... I read all the rumors, and read the "Buyer's Guide" but I don't think I have found the right answer. My hesitation is this: when I bought my iBook, it seemed like the right time. Shortly thereafter, 10.2 came out, RAM increased, processing speed increased, and prices dropped. I can definitely wait a few months to buy a PowerBook.

    I would like to hear from all of you who are probably better informed than I am. Should I buy my PowerBook now, or should I wait 3-6 months?

  2. sbb155 macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2005
    Any computer you buy, dell, apple, etc will have a better model out in a few months. No matter what. Has been that way since 1982.
    That is the reality of technology.
    Yes, waiting will get you a better computer later, but you have to deal with a worse one now.
    When your needs outgrow your current computer, you will know it.
    It all comes down to that, and how rich you are.

    If you can afford and NEED a new computer, then get it.
    I guarantee that no matter WHEN you buy a computer, a better model will be out in 3-6 months, or sooner if you go PC.
  3. iQuit macrumors 6502a


    May 13, 2005
  4. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    buy now

    the best thing well see at wwdc is maybe anoter speed bump and maybe at LOOOOOOOONG shot some dp g4s crammed into a powerbook, but even then itll prolly be like a dual 1.0ghz or something. u wont be dissapointed with a 1.67 ghz powerbook, g5s are a long way off. its gonna last you years anyway by then we gonna have g6 maybe or at least a g5 pb.
  5. joshua_msu macrumors regular


    Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
    Yeah, but Dell doesnt charge the same price for a 7 month old computer like Apple is doing with the iBook.
  6. 3lions macrumors member

    May 9, 2005
    I'm wanting an 12" powerbook too. I can't decide how long to wait, I'm going to wait until WWDC but if no updates there, then what? Keep waiting for the G5 or dual G4's or just buy one with the current config. I don't want to buy one to see it updated 1-2 months later. I'm not desperate for the G5 but it would be nice to see a power bump and firewire 800, are these likely to be in the next update?

    I could wait until :gasp: september for an update but my shared imac G3 400 mhz osX.2 is really starting to bug me :(

    Is it worth waiting until the fall for firewaire 800, a power boost and maybe some other features or should I just buy after WWDC upgrade or not?

    Here's to hoping for a powerbook update of anykind at wwdc
  7. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I doubt we will see any updates at WWDC. THUS, I just bought a new PB. Its pretty nice. Its always good to wait though if you can.
  8. zach macrumors 65816


    Feb 14, 2003
    Yeah, I just bought one too. I'd go for it, but if you have no reason not to wait, it never hurts.
  9. apelet macrumors member

    Sep 25, 2003
    Me too

    I'm sort of in the same boat. After dropping my iBook a few weeks ago, I've been looking into getting a 15 inch powerbook. I killed my iBook at the end of April, and at that point the powerbooks were only about 90-100 days since their last update according to the buyer's guide. I was ready to buy, until I realized WWDC was June 6th. It's not that urgent that I have a new notebook right now, so I can afford to wait a few weeks. But since powerbook updates aren't guaranteed, I think I'm going to stick my order in during the first few days of June, so I won't be waiting too much longer if they don't update them, and if they do, I'm eligible for the discount or a bump-up to whatever they do introduce.

    I'm just hoping apple doesn't pull a 'new powerbook g5, shipping in october' at WWDC. That will piss me off, and I need a new computer before starting grad school.
  10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Sep 19, 2003
    If you can wait, wait. I'll be ordering a PB after WWDC.
  11. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

    Apr 6, 2005
    You should wait.

    No buy now, buy now.

    No, no wait.

    Buy, buy!

    No, maybe you should wait.
  12. jestershinra macrumors regular

    Sep 4, 2004
    Yeah, I doubt it.

    This is a never-ending cycle of speculation, really. I'd say wait as long as you can before you need (or really want) the machine, then buy. There will always be something on the horizon.
  13. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502


    Dec 9, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV

    HAHAAHA....my thoughts exactly. I heard the G5 powerbook comes out next month, but maybe not.
  14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816


    Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    That was definitive. LOL.

    If it makes you feel any better, I did not wait. I bought it two weeks ago.
  15. briangig macrumors regular

    May 16, 2005
    i was buying a powerbook to replace my 600 ibook, had it in the cart and everything, but decided to wait until after wwdc..read a few things, could be rumors, but I can wait a few weeks.
  16. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

    May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    the longest i am waiting is June 17 and if nothing happends then i am just going to buy the (Good) damn thing.....

    Or mabye my impacients or excitment will overcome me and i will have to buy it before then. :D

    Only reason i am waiting is so i can put more money down so less on credit card, then sell Windows laptop pay that, then just pay the rest my guess by my math is about 3-4 months until its payed off...
  17. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a


    Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    I'd wait too.

    We just don't know what is going to happen at WWDC so speculation is fruitless. Nevertheless, it was always muted that the update to the powerbook was going to a short cycle, and that there were bigger things around the corner.

    I say wait and see - that's if you can. If you're anything like me, you'll buy and then realize one day later that Apple changed the enclosure and everything!!
  18. tristan macrumors 6502a

    Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    Buy it now, return it in 30 days, then buy another one, return that in 30 days, etc etc until the PB G5 shows up. :)

    No seriously, it's just too soon for a PB update. It's not going to happen until like August-October.
  19. camortes macrumors newbie

    May 17, 2005
    I'm in the same quandary. I like the idea of waiting a few weeks for WWDC. iBook updates have to be right around the corner... and any speed bumps will close the gap with the PB. I wouldn't imagine Apple sitting around a few months and hope they can still sell the current PBs. Any takers on the iBook being updated right before WWDC, and a HD PB update announced at WWDC? Then again, maybe not... can we waste any more time speculating?
  20. Crunchy macrumors member

    Aug 6, 2004
    I'd buy. How likely are the improvements going to be so great that a year or two down the road, you regret not having them? It won't be a G5 in the next rev wethinks.
  21. bluemouse macrumors member

    May 1, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    I just bought my 12" Powerbook at the beginning of this month. I couldn't be happier with it. Even if they come out with a 2.5 Dual-core G5 tomorrow, it wouldn't change how happy I am with mine now. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the current PB.

  22. j26 macrumors 65832


    Mar 30, 2005
    Exactly. I got mine 2 months ago (with Panther) - not even the current model either, and still I couldn't be happier.

    You even get Tiger!
  23. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

    May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    i agree plus i have to wait until June 17 anyways to save enough money up so i will be waiting anyways i want to see what happends though.. But if i could buy it now i would just buy the damn thing! (tired of waiting)
  24. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a


    May 18, 2005
    I been running my P3 Windows 98 Dell tower for 6 years now I will buy a new Powerbook before school starts. Even if they don't upgrade the PB at WWDC, I will still buy one.

Share This Page