Powerbook doesn't boot properly. Blinking folder with question mark.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by natkrar90, Jul 6, 2009.

1. natkrar90 macrumors newbie

I'm having an issue with my PowerBook G4. It wouldn't turn on at all before, so I installed another motherboard. Now it will power on, but it only shows this folder icon that blinks. I'm a complete n00b to macs. If this were a PC I would of fixed it by now. I need some help. I've tried the installation disk, but when I hold down the C key, it takes longer, but it just shows that folder again. When I hold down the Option key, it only gives me a reload button, and an arrow button, but no boot up options. Do you think it could be a problem with this other used motherboard? Or is it that I just didn't put it in right? I've double checked all the hardware, and it seems to be all connected. The keyboard lights up, and the trackpad works, and it makes the boot-up sound. Please help. I'm completely lost. :confused:

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you can't load the install DVD, I'm pretty sure that means the HDD is toast.

3. natkrar90 thread starter macrumors newbie

The HDD too? How sure are you that this is the problem? I just need to know before I go out and spend any more money. Thanks for the fast response. ;)

4. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I had a similar issue with an iBook G4. Best Buy carries a Western Digital Scorpio Blue Series HDD, 160 GB, EIDE notebook hard drive(model no: WD1600VERTL) that fits the iBook series(Clammy and whitebox) for $60ish, possibly the PowerBook. Not too big of an investment, and it may be something you can get same day. I know what it feels like to have a computer in pieces with no clue how to make it run again. Maybe someone can help me here, but if you had another Mac, couldn't you tether the two with a FireWire cable, place the OS disk in the good computer, and attempt to boot the PowerBook this way? Maybe trying this will confirm a dead drive?

5. natkrar90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I need to find someone who will let me use their MAC to test my HDD. $60 for 160GB sounds really good though. My goal is to fix it up and sell it, so if it would raise the value more than $60, it's well worth it. I appreciate your reply.

6. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I should've posted this before. My experience with the 160GB on the iBook motherboard, not sure about PowerBook: The iBook motherboard will only recognize the first 128GB of the HD. What I did with my Clammy and iBook was install the HD. Boot up off OS CD, use Disk Utility to partition drive into two 80GB partitions, install OS on one side, and use other side for large file storage. There are some 120GB drives floating around still, but far and few. If its a fixerupperandsellher, the 120GB may be more attractive to the buyer. Good luck.

7. natkrar90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the advice.

8. natkrar90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a new hard drive, and installed it, and I'm still having the same exact issue. Just wasted $50. Please don't give advice that may not be accurate. If anyone has another suggestion it would be much appreciated. Do you think it's the motherboard? That's what I suspicion. :confused:

9. lvinstyle macrumors newbie

same problem

Hi I have the same problem I am wondering what resolution you came to?