Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
is the DVD drive in a powerbook region-free? i'm going to order some anime DVDs and the reg 1's are better, but i don't know if they'll play on my player.

is there any way i can find out if i have a region-specific drive?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sic said:
is the DVD drive in a powerbook region-free? i'm going to order some anime DVDs and the reg 1's are better, but i don't know if they'll play on my player.

is there any way i can find out if i have a region-specific drive?

I believe it is still limited to 5 or less changes like all other drives.

If you don't mind 3rd party programs, it is said that you can use VLC to watch any DVD from any region without having issues..

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051130104135761&query=dvd+region

Sic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
cool i never knew that about VLC. i use that to play DVDs anyway, but i've never put any other region than 2 into it.

thanks for your post :)

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
840quadra said:
If you don't mind 3rd party programs, it is said that you can use VLC to watch any DVD from any region without having issues..

I'm afraid that this is no longer true with newer Apple hardware

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

yep vlc does not work anymore on new hardware so unless there is a hack which i dont belive there is were screwed :eek:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
swifta said:
I'm afraid that this is no longer true with newer Apple hardware

Thanks I read further into the link to verify this, and I attempted to load a DVD encoded to the UK to test. My iBook would not let me bypass the region setting issue so I had to abort.

generik said:
What did they change which break VLC compatibility?

It still works ok on my Windoze box

It isn't VLC that changed, something in the drives chipset makes VLC incompatible with bypassing the DVD region settings. However it all depends on the brand and type of drive from what posters on OS X hints are referring to. Looks like DVD manufacturers have raised the bar again. Hopefully VLC will ketch up and give us back some freedom.

The link I posted in regards to this topic on OS X hints goes into some detail further down the page.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
As far as I know all new Macs are limited to that 5 region changes, and the last region that you placed (5th) it will be block and you’ll only be able to play that region for ever...

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
would it work to use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD to your hard drive and watch that? (if you own the DVD you're well within your rights to make a copy for personal viewing, by my understanding anyway.) I'm just not sure where the region setting of the drive interrupts the playing of the thing.

what a silly little trick. like limiting where a DVD is playable is going to do anything to prevent piracy...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
BlueRevolution said:
like limiting where a DVD is playable is going to do anything to prevent piracy...

I don't think that was the purpose of the zone system. I think the movie companies wanted to retain the ability to release films at different times in different parts of the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.