PowerBook Fault

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by peskaa, Oct 20, 2008.

1. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I have a 2004 model PowerBook G4 (15", 1.5Ghz, BT 1.1, Illuminated Keyboard) which is developing a few quirks as it gets into old age...

1) When the battery goes flat, the poor thing forgets the day and time. I've deduced this is due to a flat PMU battery and have ordered a new one, so hopefully that'll fix the problem. However, if anybody knows anything different, please tell.

2) The backlit keyboard is dead, totally. The PowerBook's system preferences no longer have any mention of the illumination or being able to adjust screen brightness depending upon ambient light. A third party application (which I have promptly forgotten the name of) tells me that I don't even have an illuminated keyboard... It seems the machine has amnesia, and thinks it is simply a regular keyboard. Any ideas?

I reinstalled Leopard last night, no change. If I have to rip it open to change the PMU battery, if I need to do any other hardware changes I'd like to get it over and done with...

2. peskaa thread starter macrumors 68020

peskaa

Anybody? Or are these endless "I ordered a new MBP" threads just too exciting?

3. itcomic macrumors member

I think your best choice is contact apple genius from local apple store to see if they can offer you any solution.

or

try to send it to a local comp repair shop for a fix which probably cost $300

final choice is

I think its a good time for you to upgrade

4. bartelby macrumors Core

You're probably right about the battery issue.

As for the keyboard I had that problem that required a new logic board and light sensors.

5. peskaa thread starter macrumors 68020

peskaa

Hm. New sensors? Slightly affordable at $20 for the pair! A new logic board is less so...

6. bartelby macrumors Core

I assume it no longer automatically adjusts the screen brightness either.

7. peskaa thread starter macrumors 68020

peskaa

Correct. That option has also disappeared from System Preferences.