Powerbook, finally im switching over

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DownSetDana, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. DownSetDana macrumors newbie

    Jan 5, 2006
    Hey guys, I'm soon getting my tax return check, and i plan on dumping it all on a powerbook, I want it now, but im thinking that i should wait until the intels come out, but i don't know, and im kinda new to the whole Mac Scene,I work at CompUSA and the Apple Representative, who I am very good friends with has convinced me to switch over to Mac finally and i've been using a PC for the longest time. Gimme some input on what I should do, I personally think that I should wait for Intel, but I dunno :confused:, im currently on my friends Power Mac, and its just amazing lol but anyways..I've been using Mac OS X for sometime now, and i must say its alot better than windows haha
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Jul 4, 2004
    haha... wait until Tuesday before making your mind up about your purchase. If you need it now, then get it now. If you can afford to wait, then wait to see where things go.

  3. kretzy macrumors 604


    Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    Well I think you've already made up your mind....wait to see what happens at MWSF and decide from there. And if you absolutely can't wait until the Intel PBs come out, then you'd might as well just make the switch. As you've said, Macs are the way to go! ;)
  4. Deepdale macrumors 68000


    May 4, 2005
    New York
    Now that you mention tax returns, I hope my W-2 makes an appearance in my mailbox this week. I would love to file by 01-20 so that I can receive yet another generous electronic deposit. My withholding is set to a ridiculously high amount, but such refunds do bring some lovely color to the cheeks. Even if MWSF is a bit of a bust, shopping time will begin early spring. :)
  5. rickray macrumors member


    Jul 16, 2002
    Food for thought

    Do you realize that all a tax refund is is the government admitting that they took too much of YOUR money through out the year. Imagine, if you had that money come back to you each paycheck instead, you could save or invest it and make more money. Think about adding allowances to your W-4. If you can make it so you are around zero on tax day, i.e. no refund and no owing to the government, then you have minimized the amount of excess they take from you.
  6. haiggy macrumors 65816

    Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    That is a good point.

    I also suggest waiting until after the announcements just to be safe. If there are Intels then go for it, but if not then just buy the current PowerBook!
  7. BearRanger macrumors member


    May 23, 2005
    Deep in the Woods
    Buy the current Powerbook...

    But wait until after Tuesday. It's nice to have the latest and greatest, but if it were me I'd wait for Rev B. Not to mention potential software issues that will likely arise with the first generation Intel hardware.

    The reason to wait is to find out when any potential new machines will ship. Once that happens all of the Apple resellers will offer discounts on the current stuff.

  8. DownSetDana thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 5, 2006
    I'll probably wait until the Intel's come out, then see how they are rated and reviewed, I really hope Rev. A isn't that bad.
  9. i4k20c macrumors 6502a


    Sep 10, 2005
    If you live near a apple store (within 20 minz), it won't be too bad! :eek:
  10. Jay42 macrumors 65816


    Jul 14, 2005
    This is true, and technically its the same money in the end (whether you take it now or get it later). Having the use of the money until the returns come is also arguably advantageous, but of course there is always something to be said for getting a fat check in the mail. ;)

    So....what was the question...oh PowerBook, right. Well I would say wait if you have a capable PC at the moment. At the very least, definitely wait until this Tuesday. I would think that if they roll out intel iBooks/Mac Minis/iMacs, then PowerBooks will not be far behind. If they don't, it is most likely that these products will be announced before new PB's, so you might want to reconsider springing for a G4 at that point.
  11. ripfrankwhite macrumors regular


    Dec 13, 2005
    I don't even need a laptop, but I'm definately getting one soon. I'm leaning towards the iBook, since I don't really need much power. I'm just getting hooked on OS X. And I love new toys!
  12. DownSetDana thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 5, 2006
    i'M Impressed

    Well i saw the keynote, and im quite impressed. I just wanna know the battery life. lol, some say it sucks but i don't know what to trust yet. And im a little iffy on Rosetta and stuff, so let me know what you guys think.
  13. law guy macrumors 6502a

    law guy

    Jan 17, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    The OS and iLife aps are already universal binary (run native either way). Pro apps are switching to universal binary soon - Apple says March for Final Cut Pro on the web site. While I don't think it will be a long time for universal binaries of things like MS Word, if the new Duo is as fast as Steve Jobs claims, you may be able to run the PowerPC version under rosetta just as fast (or faster;) )

    Good luck!

Share This Page