Powerbook Freeze

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Ok this is weird... my powerbook will occasionally hang. It'll pause for like 10 seconds then respond to all the input I added in those 10 seconds in a single instance. I't only been doing this since perhaps Jan or so. I thought it was Konfab but I was wrong. Done it 3 times since deleting konfab, and 2 times were today. All the times were different basically, though all the times I was running Finder, iChat, Safari, Mail, iTunes, and Stickies. I also have Palm Desktop so that software runs all the time (the normal login stuff you get when you install it). It's just been weird is all. I suspected overheating, but if that was the case, the computer would just shut off of something.

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I had to guess at the time but here's in the general time frame the freeze occurred

Apr 13 19:43:58 localhost kernel: jnl: close: flushing the buffer cache (start 0x5c4600 end 0x5c8a00)
Apr 13 20:54:44 localhost kernel: USBF: 6983.814 AppleUSBOHCI[0x1a70800]::CreateGeneralTransfer - trying to queue to a stalled pipe
Apr 13 20:54:44 localhost kernel: USBF: 6983.814 AppleUSBOHCI[0x1a70800]::DoIOTransfer - error 0xe000404f queueing request
Doubt it will help though. Did find some interesting things in my console.log though. Like a missingsync plugin being left behind. And a preference pane I downloaded failed to load menucracker.menu. But anyway, I think the problem lies elsewhere though. No other hacks have been done o my system.

Comment

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
7on said:
I had to guess at the time but here's in the general time frame the freeze occurred

Doubt it will help though. Did find some interesting things in my console.log though. Like a missingsync plugin being left behind. And a preference pane I downloaded failed to load menucracker.menu. But anyway, I think the problem lies elsewhere though. No other hacks have been done o my system.
been running the nightly and weekly cron jobs? Those typically fix a lot of my issues. repair permissions obviously. give those a shot and see what happens.

Comment

7on

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
yeah, I ran those last night. I have Cocktail and I run the pilot everynow and then (does everything, frankly)

Though I think I may have found the problem. Without that menu extra, my BT menu extra (the Apple one) no longer takes 2 seconds to drop down. It does it instantaneously. I also remember using it (it was a menu extra to change color profiles) about 1 minute or so before these freezes took place. I'll keep you guys posted on any updates. Possibly 10.3.8 broke it, or one of the other updates did.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.