Powerbook g3 "DISK IS LOCKED"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pineapplepie, Mar 31, 2010.

1. pineapplepie macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2009
    I'm trying to transfer some files from my Macbook 13" that runs 10.6 to my powerbook g3 with os 9.1. Since my powerbook is the wallstreet model (pre-usb and firewire) a flash drive is out of the question. I tried to burn the files to a CD-RW and when I put the disk in my powerbook I get an error and it asks me to initialize (proDOS format) or eject the disk. I clicked initialize as I hoped then i would be able to burn the files to the disk but i get an error that says the disk is locked (WTF?). How can I format the disk so it's readible by my powerbook?
  2. jawa12083 macrumors member

Feb 9, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I don't know about the disk, but have you tried a LAN transfer? Does the PowerBook even have an Ethernet port?
  3. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm guessing your burning the disc in your Macbook as the Powerbook doesn't have a burner. Things you could try, erase the whole disc and burn it as a PC cd or burn it as HFS. What programme are you using to burn the disc?
  4. sparksymusic macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2010
    I agree that a LAN transfer is the way to go - appletalk sharing would be easiest for OS 9.1 using the Chooser option in the OS 9 control panel. I did this myself with a Tiger machine (& OS 9.2.2) not so long ago. just ensre appletalk is on for both machines.
  5. pineapplepie thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2009
    I tried a LAN transfer but Snow Leopard doesn't have Apple Talk or Share, how do I do this?

Oh yeah, I just worked out why its not working, g3's are so awesome they have ROM's meaning they can't read RW's