PowerBook G4 1.25 Ghz + Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by yettimillan, Jan 18, 2012.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

I have a PowerBook G4 1.25 Ghz, 768 Mb Ram, 15 inch. Model 5,2.
    I have bought for it Mac OS X retail version for it.

Both are in perfect condition and the PowerBook works amazingly.

How much do you think its value is roughly on ebay? Shall I sell them as a pair or seperately?

2. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know?? I may be selling it soon..

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sell them separately. The Leopard disc alone can go for almost as much as the Powerbook.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I bought both my PowerBooks on eBay in "Not working, for parts or repair" condition and spent $150 for the first one and $280 for the second. That was two years ago. Two years ago, "Near perfect condition" was around $600 to over $1000.

Today, I'd speculate you could probably get from $400 to $800 depending on your definition of "perfect condition" and the buyer's definition. Having as many of the original items (packaging, manuals, disks, cables, etc) will increase the price.

5. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

If I were to keep them both,

Would the price decrease or increase over time?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Like most Macs it'd go down for a while, then eventually back up again one day. Most likely.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

I find that rather hard to believe as even the 5.8 and 5.9s I've followed on ebay normally fetch 400Euro max.

yettimilian's PB is an older/slower model (but not old enough to be traded as vintage) and lacks (atleast) the orginal install media.

Doubt any serious offer will go over 200$, 250 if he's really lucky.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, you could very well be right. I'm just speculating. Quite a few of the Macs I see though are running around $300. Thats for Macs with minor dings and dents, bad batteries, no install disks, no power supply and no original packaging but still listed as completely functional. I've seen higher prices for better condition. Not a lot higher and for Macs in very good condition.

But again, the definition of "pristine" is open to interpretation.

9. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Do you actually need the money?

Because it'd be good to have a collectible. Cause i bet one day you'll say "dang, should've kept that!"

10. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

I would agree here....

I hate to admit, I was a huge hold out for PPC hardware. I loved me G4 iLamp/800 that I purchased new. I miss my G5/Dual 1.8. ( Both where sold today on a local board on the Airforce base I am on.)

The G4, I bought on a student discount. G4/800. All the bells and whistles. Even to this day a beautiful machine with a black pro keyboard and mouse. I payed well over a grand for it at the time. But with the limit of 10.4.11? There is not much I could do with it now. It went out the door for $150 in damn near pristine condition.

The Dual G5/1.8... Maxed ram. Upgraded video. A 160gig drive with leopard for boot, 500gig raptor for data, Leopard was amazing on the machine, blazing fast actually. But was crippled in dual display for video play back, editing, email, browsing and most of the usual things I do in a day. Purchased from Macofalltrades.com last year for $400, even with all the upgrades? Here in Northern California? It went for $200 bucks. Yup, half of what I spent aside from upgrades gone in a year.

My first mac was an SE/30 FD/HD that I still have. From there a color classic up through the 5200's, 6500's, 8600's, G3 Server etc and what not. I gained money on some, lost money on most. I wish I could push ppc further, I really wish the support would come back. They are viable machines in many ways. But for me I had to move on.

Just my $0.02....

~Drake