powerbook g4 1.5 15" any special problems known

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacHamster68, Apr 30, 2010.

1. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

hello i like to buy a powerbook g4 1.5 ghz 15 inch model , i could browse mroogle for hours as there are like usual many faults like on all mac's here , but are there any particular faults that are known to the powerbook g4 i should be aware of (like the bad solder problem of the iBooks ):confused:

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I've just cleaned mine up to give to a friend. It was starting to struggle with some things but overall it's still been fantastic for 6 years. No problems at all.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The Last revisions of powerbooks were really trouble free!
    But, they are 6 years old, be prepared for HD failures and such

4. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

the screen might be pretty dim after all this time

5. trevtech macrumors newbie

I've owned this same Powerbook for a little over 5 years. Its been mostly trouble free. Aside for these repairs/upgrades...

I have replaced the HD preemptively (went from an 80gig to a 160gig).

The optical drive failed a couple years ago (as most do).

As for structural issues I had to disassemble it to tighten the screen hinges. If you're mechanically minded its not very difficult to do yourself.

There are many tear-down sites to reference. ifixit being one of them; powerbookmedic.com has tutorials, as well.

My screen is showing its age. Kinda inconsistent in its back lighting in places, but still very usable.

Keep in mind that you cannot stream netflix from it being that its a PowerPC processor. Netflix only streams over Intel based 'puters.

6. MacHamster68 thread starter macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

thank you for the quick answers ..most important for me it has to have a powerpc processor ...G4 , looked at the iBooks ..but the prowerbooks alluminium look nicer ;)

7. ic1 macrumors member

The most serious issue with the late PB G4s was the infamous disappearing RAM. Mine (15", 1.5MHz, 1.5Gb RAM) was the last-but-one generation and hasn't missed a beat from new although the optical drive now no longer recognizes DVDs. This last is a well known issue with the particular drive and updated drives and instructions to replace are plentifully available. Not sure why one would have to have a G4 these days but, except for the optical drive, mine has served me well for going on six years now.