Powerbook G4 1.67 - no display when powered on

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mat246, May 1, 2014.

1. Mat246 macrumors regular

I have a powerbook g4 with a possible logic board issue, I don't know the history of it but I know it's been opened up before, it powers on ok but there is no display.
    It chimes most of the time but not every time, doesn't respond to external display or keystrokes.
    Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions before I give up?
    Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Check the bottom to see what model it is. What does the sleep light do when powered on?

3. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

A1138 is the model the number
    Sleep light remains on all the time, caps lock key lights up when pressed but then goes out

4. Realnanners macrumors member

Realnanners

Heres help

It most likely that the pixels went out or the graphics card went out. The Apple store must likely won't help you because it is vintage, So…. try find a computer shop that can replace the display. WARNING: it most likely be costly. So I recommend being a whole new machine it will probably cost more then the whole machine. Sorry or the news. Let me know how I did. :apple:realnanners

5. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, but wouldn't an external monitor still output video if it was the display?
    It's not really a loss because I was given the computer but it would be nice to have it running, think it may be the logic board but just thought id post on here for any suggestions before i gave up.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This.

I'd bet that it's the logicboard. Even if it's just the video chip, that's on the logicboard so you'd still have to replace the entire thing.

Note to the other poster. Yes, LCDs can be expensive, particularly if you fall prey to the eBay vendors that advertise just the LCDs (without bezel, back cover, cables or hinges) for $300+. But you can grab a great used screen for under $100, usually pulled from a dead or sometimes working Mac. Usually those have the cables, bezel, back cover and hinges.

I've replaced my 17" LCD (everything included) for about $80 and my wife's 12" LCD (again everything included) for less than $30. So, unless you are actively looking to be taken for your money you can find what you need for a good price on eBay.

7. Realnanners macrumors member

Realnanners

I am here to help you !

Well, before you give it up first see if a co outer store or even apple will give it a try and se if it will work. Let me know how I did. :apple:realnanners

8. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess it is the logic board, it's a shame because it would of been a nice machine. Il keep my eye on ebay for a broken one with working logic Board, doesn't seem to be many though...
    Thanks for all the replies anyway I've tried pretty much everything.

----------

It's really not worth throwing money into it for a display to have it not work, this isn't my main machine it was just something to have fun with.

9. Realnanners macrumors member

Realnanners

I am here to help you !

Yeah, I would do want you said. Sorry I could not help the best I can. I will try and find one on E-Bay for you. Tell me how I did. :apple:realnanners

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, the going rate for a logicboard for a 1.0Ghz 17" PowerBook G4 is right around $60 right now, not including shipping. For me that's a worthwhile expense to resurrect my recently deceased PB. But alas, I haven't had the $60 to spare for some time.

Assuming you have the 15" your price should be less than that. But, if less than $60 is still not worth it to you then I'd look for something new. The prices on the logicboards rarely change.

What I would do is use Google to search for your model number PB and logicboard. Using my PB as an example this would be my search string: ebay.com powerbook+G4 a1013 logicboard

Then see where it takes you. I find Google to be a much better tool to search eBay than eBay's own search function.

11. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'm not desperate to fix it, didn't really want to put any money into it just wanted to see if I could get it working, it will probably end up being sold for parts

It's the 1.67ghz 15 inch model by the way, the last one they mmadeneith the high res screen I believe

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I agree about the logic board.
    A couple of things to try:
    Reseat the RAM in the slots.
    That last model of PowerBook G4 can have unusual boot problems, and might leave you with a black display if the hard drive is bad, or the system is corrupted, so:
    Try booting to a known good system - either through a firewire hard drive, or, better, to an OS X installer DVD, so you can boot by simply holding the C key to boot from that DVD. The original DVD will be for OS X 10.4.2, so it will need to be that version, or higher, up to Leopard installer DVD.
    If you get video when booting to a good system or installer DVD, then the installed system is corrupted, and needs to be reinstalled.
    All that may not make any difference - in which case, it's still the logic board.

13. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I've reseated the ram several times with no luck, problem with the disk option is that the optical drive won't let me insert a DVD and I couldn't see one in there, I don't have a FireWire drive either. Maybe target disk mode would work with my imac g4 if I could get hold of a FireWire cable? I put the hard drive in an enclosure and I was able to see all the files but I'm not sure about the state of the os.

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Quick question, the charger you are using, is it a 45W or 65W version? My 1138 refuses to boot from a 45W adapter, but it works fine with a 65W adapter. Try this first before going any further. If it chimes sometimes and the Caps Lock light comes on, it could be the battery is trickle charging with the 45W adapter and once it has enough power it boots up.

If it is a 65W adapter, and it still won't work, try a PRAM and SMC reset. It might just work!

Good luck!

15. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a 65w adapter so I think it's the original one.
    The keyboard doesnt seem to respond to a pram reset unfortunately

16. California macrumors 68040

California

I have my parts computer 1138 that I was going to trade with another MR member but we both got busy and I think he lost interest. I'm 99.9 percent sure everything works on this except the DC IN board. If you have anything interesting to trade, let me know or if you want it for 50 bucks it's yours. DC IN Boards are like 100 bucks to buy, so yours is worth something if it's working.

If the MR member contacts me again, tho, I should keep my commitment to him first.

I use my 1138 all the time. Great machine.

17. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but I don't think I'm going to put money in it, I live in the uk so can't buy the parts from you anyway.
    I appreciate the offer though