PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHZ

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OnTrack Studios, Jan 15, 2009.

1. OnTrack Studios macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

I've been interested in picking up a PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHZ. What are your experiences with these? I currently use an iMac G4 17" (800MHZ) and my MacBook Pro 15" (2.16GHZ). How does the PowerBook compare to these?

I wanna get something inexpensive that is very portable. My MacBook Pro serves as my main computer so I dont like having to disconnect it from everything anytime i want to leave the house. I do a bit of graphic design, mainly LightRoom and Photoshop. Also music, Pro Tools and Logic Pro. Would those apps run well on the PowerBook?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Everyone I know that has/had a 12" loved them for their portability.
    But every 12" I've come across has some serious flaws/failures. I have 4 or 5 dead ones in my office, all with varying degrees of logic board failure. Dead USB ports, dead ethernet port, dead RAM slots.
    In the end.. I'd suggest avoiding the 12". Particularly given it's age and PPC processor.
    Running cpu/ram hungry apps like Pro Tools and Logic Pro.. you'll not be happy with the PowerBook's performance. It'll be slightly better than running those on your iMac, which I'm guessing is sucktacular.

And since you have a MacBook Pro.. Your MBP is twice the Mac than the iMac and PowerBook combined.

So what are your options? They all are pretty pricy, I think.

Purchase a new iMac for home to be your primary computer, freeing up your MBP for travel. IMO, that would be your best choice.
    Buying a MacBook.. well they're underpowered for heavy hitters like Pro apps.

EDIT:

On a side note, here's a thread asking a similar question:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=629249

3. OnTrack Studios thread starter macrumors regular

OnTrack Studios

That's probably the most logical reply I've ever read. I have an obsession with the older Macs but when I get them, they end up collecting dust because they're too slow. I was hoping the PowerBook would be decent enough but from what I've been reading they dont compare to what's out now. But yea, I think what I've been missing is a dedicated home computer. I'm so reluctant to travel with the MacBook Pro because it has everything that's important in it so I'd hate for it to get damaged. I guess i should save up my pennies and go for an iMac. The Pro still has a few years of applecare so it should last me. I got it in May 2007 and the only issue was a bad battery about 6 months ago. When using battery power, it would shut off at around 40% charge.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Backup. Especially if you're moving around a lot.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey