Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawrJoey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Hi, I know this has probably been asked many times before, but for fun I was wondering if I could convert my old G4 into the casing of a Macbook Pro (2008 unibody). I know the width's are different, but that's cause of different factors. If the logic board could fit in it by removing some of the useless ports I don't need, could it be possible? The only thing I'm having trouble figuring out is the AC port, which I figured I could put into the Ethernet port, just cause who uses Ethernet anymore anyway? The other problem I'm thinking is the screen ribbon cables, the keyboards and the trackpads. I don't know if there's converters for them or anything.

I just think it would be really cool to show my friends a converted notebook. What do you all think? What are the possibilities of this? How could we make it work?

RawrJoey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Right, it's "just" the display/keyboard/trackpad. Nothing important there.

Which is why I want to know if anyone knows how they work and compare them. If the ribbon cables are the same, or if there's converters or something. Even a different type of display, but the same size.

Last edited:

RawrJoey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Right, it's "just" the display/keyboard/trackpad. Nothing important there.

Which is why I want to know if anyone knows how they work and compare them. If the ribbon cables are the same, or if there's converters or something. Even a different type of display, but the same size.

whoops, dp..

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Assuming the display, trackpad and keyboard will work:

None of the ports will line up, you'll have to drill-out the pillars between the ports on the right, it will look awful.
The logic board probably won't fit due to the difference in internal configuration.
The battery won't fit in either, I guess you could strip off the housing but it's still too deep foe the case.

Sorry, but unfeasible idea is unfeasible.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
IIRC, the larger 15" MBP and PB G4 share the same display cables. Most powerbooks are just LVDS, which is pretty much an industry standard across the board for laptops. The only thing that differs is the way they're connected, and apple uses FFC connectors 99% of the time in laptops). I know that the macbook pro line uses the same connectors for all production years.

Physically, though, it's not going to work. And besides, this is going to cost a ton of money.

RawrJoey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Assuming the display, trackpad and keyboard will work:

None of the ports will line up, you'll have to drill-out the pillars between the ports on the right, it will look awful.
The logic board probably won't fit due to the difference in internal configuration.
The battery won't fit in either, I guess you could strip off the housing but it's still too deep foe the case.

Sorry, but unfeasible idea is unfeasible.

I was thinking of using extender cables for the USB and such, rewire them so they aren't long as hell. The logic board could fit easily if I mod the casing a little, remove some of the aluminum at the bottom like they did for the logic board. Same with the battery. it all depends on the placing. If it's impossible that's fine, I'm just thinking of ideas here.

----------

IIRC, the larger 15" MBP and PB G4 share the same display cables. Most powerbooks are just LVDS, which is pretty much an industry standard across the board for laptops. The only thing that differs is the way they're connected, and apple uses FFC connectors 99% of the time in laptops). I know that the macbook pro line uses the same connectors for all production years.

Physically, though, it's not going to work. And besides, this is going to cost a ton of money.

So I would just use a regular LVDS screen and the regular powerbook cable? And a ton of money how?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I was thinking of using extender cables for the USB and such, rewire them so they aren't long as hell.
The problem is that that will consume a lot of space - a couple of cm, assuming you can get a direct male<->female adaptor - and if you do it for one connection, you have to do it for all of them because the logic board is no longer flush to the side of the case. That could be a problem for the power connector.

The logic board could fit easily if I mod the casing a little, remove some of the aluminum at the bottom like they did for the logic board.
Sorry; what?

it all depends on the placing. If it's impossible that's fine, I'm just thinking of ideas here.
The battery is probably the deepest component you'll have to worry about, you'll need to crack open a powerbook battery and measure the depth of the cells.

And a ton of money how?
You'll need to buy the 2008 Macbook or 2009 13" MacBook Pro, can't find those very cheap.

RawrJoey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry for not properly formatting any quotes, I'm on my iphone so yeah.

I can get direct cables for it, that's no problem at all. I realize the power connector is something I have to work out but I think Could do something to make it work. Not sure what though, yet.

About the logic board, look at this image: http://cdn.macpartsonline.com/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/9/2/922-9043.jpg I believe part of the inside casing goes inward more to fit the board. I could easily be mistaken though, but it may be possible to remove the rest of it beside it. My friend is more of an expert of actually doing it than myself. And yes I'm aware that Is a 15 inch but the 13 works the same

Is the battery really that thick? It cant be too huge.

Parts for it are relatively cheap. A hollow casing of the bottom is around $120 with keyboard and trackpad and the top is another $120 without a display.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
It's fairly clear that you don't really understand what you are getting into. Maybe you aren't experienced with electronics, or maybe you're blinded by "hope" that you can make this work. There is a remote chance that you could somehow wiggle all of the components into PB G4 case and somehow make it work (never mind that the bottom case is rather thin and not very easy to modify other than cutting holes), but I put the odds on you winding up with two dismantled laptops that you can't figure out how to put back together.

Please do document your attempt in pictures. I'm sure it will be... interesting.

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
It's pretty unlikely that this would work, but if it does, that would be pretty awesome, so good luck!

aednichols

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Although the two machines are almost the same size, everything else about them is different: the internal layout, the placement of ports, the connection standards used... modding portables is hard enough already, compared to desktops, and a complete transformation like this is probably too much to take on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.