PowerBook G4 12": Display Bezel Rubber Pads

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hamis92, Aug 23, 2014.

1. hamis92 macrumors 6502

The 12-inch PowerBooks have these little round pads in the top corners of the display bezel, to keep the display from touching the palmrest when the computer is closed.

The left one in my 1,33 GHz unit has been detereorating for a while now – oftentimes when I open it small flakes come loose from the pad. It seems the rubber has hardened and any pressure on the pad will make it break. The right pad is bouncy like it should be and has no pieces missing.

Has anyone else experienced this? I assume the pads can be somehow popped out and replaced but where to get them? I could probably design and 3D-print some in school but it would be nice to have the originals...

The attached picture is from a few weeks ago, it has gone worse since then.

Attached Files:

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I've used these in the past. You may think they're price, but they do work well.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A good quick fix would be to remove the bad pad and put a small drop of hot glue where the pad was. If you mess up, just remove the hot glue blob and redo it.

4. Macdctr macrumors regular

I like this solution. I have bookmarked this so I can refer to this when I need new pads. Right now the pads on my PowerBooks are okay. Thanks for bringing this up :apple:

5. SecretSquirrel macrumors member

Yes - I have the exact same problem on the same pad on one of my PB12's. Must have been a bad batch!

6. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Hmm, usually it's the little rubber feet that have problems. Good info.

7. Eugen Mezei macrumors member

How do you remove the bumpers on the LCD and where to get the feet?

8. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The feet used to be available on eBay, but now the only way is to get the pre-unibody MBP feet