PowerBook G4 12-inch startup problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KeithO, Jul 10, 2008.

1. KeithO macrumors newbie

I recently restarted my computer and it will not re-boot. Up to that point before I restarted I had no problems with my laptop or did the laptop show any signs of a problem beginning or persisting on my comp.

When I am booting up OS X I get to the Grey screen where I normally get to before the system fully boots up. That's where I get stuck, all i get is the thing spinning around under the apple logo ( not the color pinwheel) and it just sits there forever. I hear the quiet sound of the fan blowing or what ever it is and a click here or there from the hard drive maybe trying to boot up. I have tried many things and and in need of more help to figure out what I should do with this thing.

If anyone could help I would deeply appreciate it!!!

Thank you

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Can you boot from your installation disc, and then use Disk Utility to repair permissions and your disc?

3. KeithO thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent tried using that that step, right now I do not have access to the install disks to look in the HD and fix what ever is going on. What is wrong if I do use the disks and still can not get anywhere or get the comp to boot up?? does that mean that basically the HD or logig board is bad on the comp??

4. visiondancer macrumors newbie

Hold down Command-V while starting up to enter "Verbose" mode. This may provide specific information on what is going on and give you better help.

For example, my sister's 12" PB says "disk0s3: I/O Error" over and over in Verbose mode, so we're thinking it's time for a HD replacement.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Put your ear to the left palmrest and listen. If you hear something like "click, click, buzz" over and over, then you have a dead hard drive. Hope you have a recent backup.

6. plunkett16 macrumors newbie

solution

ketiho -

i have been having the same problem.
    you resolve you issue?
    if so, what's you do?