PowerBook G4 12" PRAM battery?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kylera, Feb 18, 2011.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I've searched for this online because my PowerBook isn't keeping time if I don't maintain a battery charge, but some people say that there is no clock battery in the 12-inch model...which I find to be ludicrous. Any suggestions?

2. MacHamster68, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes there is no separate pram battery in the 12" PowerBooks(like on iBooks too ). instead there is a small capacitor that maintains the system clock/Pram long enough(according various sites between 15 and 30 seconds) to swap the main battery for a fresh charged one or to plug in mains , so always keep a charged battery around
    here that little thing
    http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?products_id=1884

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

So what this means is that even if this were a brand-new model, and the battery hits rock bottom, the time would still change??

4. MacHamster68, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes if the battery is empty and if you are not quick enough to plug it into mains or have a spare battery around , but usually you need just to go online to let it update the time itself , so nothing to worry
    the only worry might be if you have a near full battery and/or plugged into mains and the clock is changing regardless of charge , then its time to change this capacitor , but as you say it keeps the time in mind when the battery is full , so the capacitor still does its job

easy test for a dead pram capacitor is to shut down the powerbook with full battery (or ibook as they have the same cap inside )and restart it after 15 seconds , if its holding the time its fine if its losing it , then time to change the capacitor