Powerbook G4 12" won't accept 32GB SSD.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zhivago1955, Feb 16, 2013.

1. zhivago1955 macrumors member

zhivago1955

Hi, After reading numerous testimonies with replacing HDD with SSD, I thought I would do the same with my PB G4 12" 1.5 GHz. During the process of rebooting I get a message from the Installer indicating
    "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume" What does this mean? Any suggestions?

Thanks from Oregon
    zhivago

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Have you formatted it correctly? You need to boot from the Mac OS X Installer, go to Disk Utility, select the drive. Click the "Partition" tab, set up the partition the way you want using the drop-down menu. Then look for the options button directly below the partition box. It should bring up the partition map options. Select Apple Partition Map, then click OK. Using the box on the right, name your drive whatever you want, make sure it's set to "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" then click OK.

At this point it should let you use that drive.

3. zhivago1955 thread starter macrumors member

zhivago1955

THX for your reply,

I tried several times after reading your suggestion. I found myself not sure of the Partition Map section? It didn't give me the option to click "OK" after the partition. Did I miss something during the process?

4. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

After you select your number of partitions (just one if you want OS X only), look to the right of the partition box. It will say "Partition Information", under that area you can name it what you want and choose a format. Choose the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) format and click "Apply" at the bottom right.