Powerbook G4 12" won't boot!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nolonger, Jul 19, 2010.

1. nolonger macrumors newbie

It has been some time already since my Powerbook G4 won't boot, but now I am determined to find the cause!

When I press the power button nothing happens. I can hear the CD drive spinning, but then it stops and nothing on the screen. I can turn the caps lock and num lock keys. The num lock is turned on by pressing F5 instead of F6, though.

I've tried hooking the Powerbook up to another monitor through the mini-display port, but I got nothing on the screen.

I read a little bit about this and some advised to smack the laptop on a certain corner, that didn't work for me.

Any advice on what I can do?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

This sounds like the exact symptons that were well known on the iBook G3/G4s. More than likely the logic board has died. You can always remove the extra memory to rule that out to see if that's the culprit.

3. nolonger thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was afraid of. Removed the memory module and still nothing. Any ideas where I can get another logic board? Would I be better off just buying another laptop? I really loved this one and don't have the money to get another one right now (though depending on the price of another logic board I may be able to purchase one).

Thanks for the help!

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I really wouldn't bother replacing the LB, you might as well just buy another used PowerBook. I just got a 1.5GHz PB for $200 here on the forums. I would then sell your broken one on eBay or part it out.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If the logic board has died I'd sell the broken PowerBook for scrap on eBay, then purchase another used PowerBook on eBay ;)

If you get a good deal with the parts and a good deal with the new PowerBook, you shouldn't lose too much money :D

6. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

You might as well get a new one, my friend bought one pristine with all the original packing (including bags and twist ties) for 300. 1.5ghz with 512mb of ram.

As for me, I've still got the same one I bought in early 2006. It's perfect, except I let my dad use it for a while when he was out of a laptop last year, and he likes to go to the library, and the locks put a small circle around the lock hole. It's okay though, not that noticible, but not perfect anymore.

7. bizforce macrumors newbie

I agree, it's best to go hunting for a new one or a "pre-loved" one :)
    But I know its hard to let go of something we love so much hehehe.

My powerbook g4 wont boot up as well but I do see the screen just doesnt go straight to the login page... I don't know why. Its been like that for a year I think, I'm thinking of selling but cant get myself to let go :(

no matter how slow it can be sometimes.