PowerBook G4 12" x 2

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mark-Mac-Attack, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Mark-Mac-Attack, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

Hi everyone.

I've just picked up two 12" PowerBook G4s that were on eBay (£60 & £70).
    I used to have a 1Ghz 12" a while back the I sold but fancied something round the house to use other than the MBA.

I was going to keep one and sell one.

Specs:

(Left)
    G4 867 Mhz
    384 MB RAM
    160 GB 5,400 RPM HDD

(Right)
    G4 1.5 Ghz
    1.25 GB Ram
    80GB 5,400 RPM HDD
    10.3.9!

The MBA is a i7 1.8 (256GB) 13" for comparison.

The Panther PowerBook feels considerably faster in general use than the Tiger PowerBook. Obviously one is a faster system, but I'm presuming this is primarily down to a lack of RAM. Anyway, enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Xbench results:

MBA (no thread test) = 219
    PB 867 Mhz (with thread test) = 15
    PB 1.5 Ghz (with thread test) = 44

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Why not just swap the RAM from the lower mhz one to the newer one? Can't imagine you would dump the faster processor one just because of a little RAM (which can be purchased for about $20).

3. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Curious why you are not running Tiger or Leopard on both of those. I run Leo on my 12" 1.25Ghz G4 iBook, and it works solid.

4. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

It already is? It is the 867 MHz PB with the smaller amount of RAM.

5. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Leopard is 10.5.

6. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

They both just arrived today. I could do with a cheap way of obtaining Tiger. Not too bothered about Leopard.

7. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Good luck finding those discs. Such a pain in the ass to restore (or update) older Macs that 'going another way' is pretty much a requirement. Leopard itself goes for about $100 on eBay.

Some day, my 5 copies of Snow Leopard will buy me a car...

8. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

9. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'd 100% keep the 1.5ghz, I used to have a 12" 867mhz w/ 640mb RAM and even under Tiger it was pretty sluggish. I now have a 1.67ghz 15" running Leopard & the speed is just worlds apart. Selling the 867mhz (IMO) would be a better option as the price range between all 12"s are relatively close.

10. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Fair comment. It is actually relatively speedy (the 1.5 Ghz). I would recommended them for their price!

11. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I guess I am just lucky in that respect, I have my retail tiger box, and my leopard upgrade disk. The down side is I gotta install tiger first, but I put it at the end of the disk, and just delete it and extend the leo partition after it is installed.

Attached Files:

12. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Still better than having to use Carbon Copy Cloner every time you need a machine running Leopard. I just cannot justify paying £££'s for a disc of an outdated OS. I do however have retail tiger, jaguar & OS 9 discs which is pretty sweet.

13. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I've combined the best of each into one machine now.

[​IMG]

14. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Honestly, if you're cloning partitions in order to install Leopard then you may as well just pirate it. I mean, you're using it either way, at least that way you have a clean install.

15. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I would if I had a DLSD to hand. I don't see the point in buying one specifically for just one burn though, I've got a pretty nice drive in my G5 that's doing everything I want it to do so maybe in the future.

PS. I could try this method however, http://web.mac.com/owenmcgarry/Downloads/Leopard_on_a_single_layer_DVD.html

16. Mark-Mac-Attack thread starter macrumors regular

Crossed wires, my response was to do with RAM. I know it isn't on Leopard.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good find with the Powerbooks. A 1.5Ghz G4 is a good speed for a machine to still be usable. This is what my Cube and eMac run at. I'm very happy with the performance of both of those machines.

I'd still rather clone my pre-setup/customized/up to date Leopard image onto a machine, particularly an older one, then install it and wait for all of the updates to complete.

18. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I would like to get better than my eMac, 1.5 would probably be an improvement over the 1ghz in there, but I out it would improve much the iBook at 1.somethingGhz.

19. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

I know I probably shouldn't be talking about this but I have seen premade images that fit on single layer DVDs. I even saw a working image that already had the intel code removed from it through xslimmer. I tried it by booting my leopard DVD and then using it to restore the dmg stored on an external drive. It works much better. I would recommend using xslimmer regardless of which path you choose. I don't know if it's a placebo effect but my 1 ghz felt much faster than stock leopard, just as fast as tiger.

20. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

So long as a person has a legitimate copy of a Leopard disk, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Section 2-C of Leopard's EULA states:

"You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code and other Apple firmware that is embedded or otherwise contained in Apple-labeled hardware) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Apple Boot ROM code and firmware is provided only for use on Apple-labeled hardware and you may not copy, modify or redistribute the Apple Boot ROM code or firmware, or any portions thereof."

So long as you have a legitimate copy of Leopard, you are allowed to make one backup of Leopard for personal use. You're also allowed to remove Intel code because you aren't "modifying" any code...you're simply removing it entirely. I guess some people would argue that removing Intel code is technically "modifying," but I highly doubt you'd ever receive any grief from Apple over it.

21. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

This topic has come up loads of times but I honestly cannot justify paying £100+ for a used disc of an outdated OS to run on an unsupported architecture, especially considering the Macs I own aren't worth much more than that anyway. If Apple were to sell Leopard at say, £50 then I would 100% go off an buy a copy.

22. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Okay I will preface this post with the following statement: I own legally obtained installation media of panther through lion. As well as 10.1 and os8 & 9 media.

apple has abandoned everything before leopard. No support, no updates, no java updates, etc. they don't care about them. I see no reason I should give them money for a product they do not sell or support. I have no qualms obtaining OSX tiger via torrent or other locations.