Powerbook G4 15" audio jack issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hallivand, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Hey all, I recently acquired a Powerbook G4 15" (to replace another recently bought 12") and I've been having issues with the audio out port. When I plug in earphones, audio only comes out of the left earphone/headphone. I've tried with two earphones and a pair of headphones to no avail.

However, while the audio works fine when hooked up to my stereo system the sound is somewhat muted on the right speaker. I've checked the audio balance in System Settings and everything seems to be in order.

As for specifications, it's the second last revision 15" with a 1.67Ghz G4 and the low resolution screen.

Any help would be much appreciated :D

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Its probably got something causing bad contact inside the jack. Even so, have you done a PRAM reset on it yet?

3. Hallivand thread starter macrumors regular

Hallivand

Hmm, I've shined a flashlight inside and it seems rather clear to me anyway. I've done the PRAM and NVRAM resets, however the audio issue persists =/

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

What could be wrong, and this actually just happened on my Zune HD, after owning it 3 years. Sometimes, what can happen is. whatever is plugged into the audio jack gets pulled on WAY to hard by accident, to the side, and that can slightly separate the port, which can cause you only to hear one side, because the connection isn't quite tight enough, or in my zunes case, just cause it to pause randomly :(

5. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

My G4s audio jack was destroyed by the previous owner, i have to use a USB sound card. Walmart has one for around $15-20, but they are cheaper online.

6. Hallivand thread starter macrumors regular

Hallivand

G51989 Sorry to hear about the Zune, I had an iPod touch that had a similar issue actually, however you could physically feel the loosness of the cabling unlike this one :eek: though having it pause all the time would be a real pain

ppcg4mac I actually quite like the PC card idea, nearly forgot my PB has a card slot (still adapting to the huge screen increase and other features from my 12") might look into it :D is there any card you could recommend in particular?

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

It's still useful in the car, and when your carrying it, just can't pocket it very well, yeah you can feel the loseness. I might try to pop it open and see if I can't get it back together.

G4 can you feel it being loose?

8. Hallivand thread starter macrumors regular

Hallivand

You might be able to like press it back into shape very delicately if you open it up, I used to often compress the audio jack (very difficult without trying to stress the glass) between a drawer and my desk which surprisingly was rather effective for hours of uninterrupted listening :) before it went all loose again...

Comparing to my spare 12" (till I sell it), the jack does feel looser than the other machine. However when playing music I can wiggle it around to no avail :( usually you can get some signal as I did with my iPod touch. I'm investigating what ppcg4mac said and been trying to look for a pcmcia audio card, though it's not easy finding one under $50 through eBay or such (Australia isn't such a large used PC market as is Europe or the US)

9. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

Yes, the plastic is completely torn away on the outside

----------

I dont know the brand, because i found mine in the hall at school, so sorry.:(