PowerBook g4 15" Getting hot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CountMaxMore, Feb 11, 2015.

1. CountMaxMore macrumors member

CountMaxMore

Hey, I have a PowerBook G4 15" 1.67 ghz model and it seems to run a little warm at times so I installed istat menu to check everything out and I am getting some odd fan activity the fans set at 0 rpm until my computer gets to 60 C then at that point both fans kick in really fast Well over 1000 rpm then they both stop once the computer gets down to around 40 C... My question is, Is there a Program or a terminal type mod that I can have the fans running all the time but slower so that my computer doesn't get this hot?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's G4Fan Control.

I've never had any luck with it on any of my PowerBooks, but others here can attest to it.

What you describe is normal though. Fans kick in around 140º and then cut out once temps go back down to about 130º or so. Happens this way on every PB I've owned.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you haven't already done so, consider a tear-down, cleaning, and repaste of the heatsinks and CPU/GPU.

We've had some discussions about this here recently-Powerbook fans tend to be an "all or nothing" deal. This is in contrast to most Intel-based laptops, where the fans run at low speed pretty much constantly and ramp up as internal temperatures dictate.