Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
UK
What's the time I should expect to get out of my battery before it fully drains if I leave my pbook on sleep? I currently get no more than a day or so.

Thanks,
Steve

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
UK
Come on someone, pls anyone, how is your mileage in sleep? I was under the impression they should last for days in sleep with little battery use???

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
When it was new, my iBook 12" burned about 3%/10 hours sleeping, so that it would last a week or more, in principle, from a full charge. So a long time. :)

If you want a more exact number for your laptop, you can download something like XCharge, let your laptop sleep for a while with it running, and then use a calculator to extrapolate a very accurate answer quite easily, right? ;)

But if you are saying that your notebook, with a full charge, fully asleep for one day continuously, is at or near empty, that isn't right at all. Either it is not going to sleep correctly, or you have something wrong with your battery.

Are you sure it's asleep?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
crazzyeddie said:
Mine takes about 3-5% per hour under sleep (15" Titanium Powerbook).

How does your battery do in general (waking)? I assume mine has gotten somewhat worse since my battery has >100 cycles on it now, and I haven't tested it anytime recently, but....I'm also sure it isn't that bad.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
My 1.33GHz PB is in sleep mode for about 2-2.5 hours, during commute home and then dinnertime. Typically loses about 5% battery in that time.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
WHAT?! I let me iBook G3 500Mhz sleep for exactly a week. The battery when running lasted like 3.5 hours.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Umm.. I let my PowerBook sleep overnight sometimes and I lose no battery charge.

Maybe its because I'm only on my 22nd cycle.
Eh.
*shrugs*

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
The iBook sleep lifes are phenominal. My 800 G3 would get almost three weeks in sleep (though those were rare stretches of time). The current PB I'm using seems to lose about 2-3% in an 8 hour span.

ITASOR, only 3.5 hours? My old 800 G3 iBook pulled 6 hours of life on a battery charge only a few weeks before I sold it earlier this month. I was doing some basic Photoshop work and had Airport running the entire time. Even from the beginning, I had been impressed with that 14" iBook's performance. The battery life is something I'll miss.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
MacHarne said:
The iBook sleep lifes are phenominal. My 800 G3 would get almost three weeks in sleep (though those were rare stretches of time). The current PB I'm using seems to lose about 2-3% in an 8 hour span.

ITASOR, only 3.5 hours? My old 800 G3 iBook pulled 6 hours of life on a battery charge only a few weeks before I sold it earlier this month. I was doing some basic Photoshop work and had Airport running the entire time. Even from the beginning, I had been impressed with that 14" iBook's performance. The battery life is something I'll miss.

Mine was originally around 6 hours, however, I think I was 10 or so when I got that computer and wasn't too aware of how to correctly drain and recharge the battery. I took extremely good care of the laptop, just not that battery. I also hardly ever actually used the battery for a full good life, so that didn't help. Right now, I'm borrowing my grandma's G3 900Mhz 14" and it only gets around 3.5 hours. She never drained it or charged/used it right either though. My G4 should be here any day now, and I plan to take extremely good care of it's battery. :)

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I'm assuming I must have absolutely destroyed my battery or something, because i get at the most 1 hour if that from a full charge. I've also noticed that while in sleep mode even if it starts at 15-20% my computer will not turn on after being asleep for a night unless i plug it in. I got a Rev. A Alum so it is nearing 2 years old :eek: . The thing still cruises though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.