PowerBook G4 15inch 1.67 Beach Ball of death issues...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by joe dang, Apr 21, 2009.

1. joe dang macrumors newbie

joe dang

So my machine ran fine for 2 yrs. Then I started hearing crackling or a fan noise, caused comp to get hot, but never a problem other than annoyance of the sound, sounded like it was frying in there. It seem to do this while playing video or streaming. I thought Hard Drive was going south. Ran machine another 6 months, then found an apple guy who refurbs. I had him bump my Ram from 512 to 1.5. He also installed a used Toshiba 100GB HD along with all the latest and greatest Lep 10.5.6 with Life and office 2008. He could not duplicate the issue of crackling. So, I get home with computer and notice I get the beach ball spinning quite often, sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, very annoying and the crackling was still there. I decide to run disk utility, repair permissions then erase free space with the x's and o's. Did this several times with 1 pass feature. Tried a 7 pass, but was taking waaaaaay too long(about 1week) before it would finish, so after 14 hours, i decided to skip. I ran the single pass one more time and the machine appeared to be working fine. This lasted 2 weeks until recently I have been getting the beach ball of death quite often again. Kinda like before, sometimes a few seconds or minutes, but now with a freeze that ends with a grey screen telling me to "hold power button for a few seconds to shut down", and in 4 different languages. So I have tried to run the disk utility again, it allows me to run repair permissions, but EVERY time I try and run a single pass to erase free space, it goes in this order, erasing free space for a couple minutes, quickly followed by creating temp folder, then freeze and telling me to hold power button to shut down. I also hear clicks and clunks from drive that does not sound healthy. I never have a problem rebooting, everything come back up fine, but beach ball spins are driving me crazy.

So anyway, I am in worse shape than before I started, story of my life, but I am curious what could be causing this. I have pulled battery and reset power options by holding power button for 5 seconds and the comp appears to be running better as far as no beach ball spinning, but the disk utility problem remains. I am going to contact my guy and ask if he can replace this with another HD, or fix this, but I just wanted to see if it was a silly fix I could do myself first. I appreciate you reading and thanks ahead for any replies. Thank you.... Joe

2. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I wish I could help, but I have no ieda what to do. Sounds like behaviour that would only come from a G3 or earlier(from my expereince). I hope you get this fixed, It would be ashame to lose your computer just after a big upgrade. Good luck!
    SG :apple:

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

If you are hearing noises coming from the drive, you probably got a defective drive. It was probably defective from the factory. It's rare, but it does happen. Also, the issues with disk utility point to a defective drive. You have done just about everything you can to fix the problem. I would have your guy try another drive. If the issues persist after that, then I would start looking at other causes.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. joe dang thread starter macrumors newbie

joe dang

Drive has not been partitioned. What has me scratching my head is the same crackling fan noise that was there before changing HD and adding DDR. It made this noise with Tiger on old HD and still has noise symptoms with new HD. I am not getting the beach ball as often now, but still will not complete a disk utility erase cycle, something will not allow it to start erasing, just goes to a creating temp folder cycle until grey screen freezes, asking me to hold power button, in 4 diff languages. Everything else seems to be working fine... for now....

I have tried looking at activity monitor, but not sure what to look for? I am not familiar with it, I dont know what numbers are good or bad....

6. joe dang thread starter macrumors newbie

joe dang

Well I spoke too soon...

I decided to try and download OnyX and cleanup the machine a little bit and when I downloaded the 2.0.4 for Leopard, it failed to mount. I heard the clicking noises(basically something telling the drive not to allow download), then followed by the beach ball of death, then grey screen freeze, prompting me to hold power button to restart.... Ahhhhhrrrr what a mess. My guess is that who ever had this hard drive before me used it on windows and had major viruses. Time to give my guy a call back...

7. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

i dont think viruses could cause your issue, have you tried reformatting the drive and reinstalling osx back onto it?

8. joe dang thread starter macrumors newbie

joe dang

Thats part of problem too. I had Tiger 10.4 on old HDD and had refurb guy put a used HDD with new Leopard OS. I do not have a disk to re-install with. Computer still runs fine after a reboot, but when ever I try to run a utility, utility download, or software update, I hear the ugly hard drive noises and it freezes. Other downloads are fine as long as it is not a repair or upgrade download. Browsing is fine now, as to where two days ago, any command would cause the beach ball to spin up. :eek:i am puzzled and frustrated lol

9. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby