Powerbook G4 17" display... gorgeous! But broken.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by simulacrum, May 5, 2009.

1. simulacrum macrumors newbie

I have a PB G4 1.67Ghz with a damaged display. It runs perfectly but the screen is obviously broken inside and this makes a portion of the screen not viewable.

My question is this: shouldn't just about any 17" LCD screen work for a replacement? I'm capable of doing it myself, I just need confirmation that an LCD screen like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280339961736&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Would work for me. I believe it should, but the seller said that it would not, which surprised me because I've replaced screens in 12" iBooks with Samsung brand LCD's before. Anyone know for sure? $74 for a new screen would be :)

2. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

3. simulacrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for your post. Much appreciated. But the LCD screen itself doesn't plug into the logic board at all. If you take apart the front and back pieces of the case that holds the LCD screen, and remove the Powerbook's 2 cables that plug into the motherboard and attach to the case, you can plug them into the new LCD screen and remove the broken one.

In a 12" (the only model I've done this with before, using a Samsung LCD screen; brand new), the cable that connects to the mobo plugs into a piece on the back of the LCD (I believe this cable supplies power to the screen). There is a second cable on the screen that plugs into one side of the PB's inverter board; from the other side of the inverter board comes the cable that plugs into the motherboard and supplies the display data.

But would the power input for the LCD screen accept the Powerbook's power supply cable plug? And would the Powerbook's inverter board accept the display cable plug that comes with this screen? :confused:

Or maybe I'll just keep my eye out for a G4 17" with a bad mobo. :(