Powerbook g4 800mhz ti disc problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ppcfanforever1, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ppcfanforever1 macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

I have decided to downgrade to tiger this weekend and I have encountered a big problem. My disc drive only reads have the time now and when it gets past 1% installation on the disc it says that the installation failed. I have put the hdd into a powerbook g3 that only could go to panther and tried upgrading but it did the same thing in the powerbook g4 when I tried. Are there any other options to getting this thing to install or could you show me a low price for a replacement drive. Thanks

2. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Only one thing to do in this case:

Look up your drive model in System Profiler, then go on eBay.

3. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Ok thank you. So i should just get the same model I have with the chance of it dying though?

4. Frost7, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Well, any and every drive model you get is going to have a chance of eventually dying on you, but if you're not sure what's compatible with yours, probably best to go with what you know works.

That said, I think your PowerBook is the model before mine (I have the 1GHz of the final TiBook model) and uses the same form factor drives though, so I could suggest looking for the UJ-815. That's what my TiBook came with and it's been running for 11 years now, so at least in my experience, it's a very reliable model.

5. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Ok ill look for them. I also have another question I have a foam like thing when I take the powerbook g4 apart under the right hinge i have a foam black thing just laying there in place. Can I remove it? I feel it blocks air flow.

6. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Do you have a photo of this object bychance?

Haven't seen anything like that on my PowerBook, and I can't find anything about it in Apple's material on Service Source. But I don't want to just say "remove something from your computer" without being sure what we're talking about.

7. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Hold on Ill take it apart in a little and upload pictures of it.

8. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Ok i have a picture of it in the computer under the hinge and out of the computer. Its removable I just want to know If it has a purpose and if it could possibly be blocking some sort of air flow. Oh and also throwing it out there if anybody has a spare dvd drive for this powerbook that you dont need I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what the DVD Drive looks like.
    [​IMG]

9. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Huh... I've opened quite a number of late model Titaniums and I have never seen one of those in that spot. I doubt it's blocking airflow, but you're probably okay removing it regardless.

10. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Thank you