Powerbook G4 867 - losing too much charge in sleep

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by norbichu, Mar 20, 2010.

1. norbichu macrumors newbie

Hey people. I have searched a lot, and found various things close to helpful, but not for my system or other problems which led to things not working. So let me explain (although it's a similar story to a lot of people).

I am using:
    PowerBook G4 12"
    OS X.4.11
    867 Mhz
    640MB RAM
    And a reasonably new battery which holds about 2.5hrs.

Now the problem is losing charge when asleep. I realize this happens slightly, but it's gone too far now. It seems to lose it at the same speed as awake.. well maybe not, I haven't tested it extensively. But noticeably if I get the reserve battery warning (with around 10 minutes left) and then close the lid and get on a bus home (30 minutes) when I am home, my laptop is dead. But DEAD DEAD - when I start up again the clock has reset to way back in 1969.

Very frustrating to have to deal with this everytime I take a flight for more then a few hours, etc...

Any suggestions, terminal commands, things I should look for on my computer (well you know the drill..)

Thanks in advance,
    Norbi

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Either use System Profiler, iStat Pro or Coconut Battery (maybe the best way) to find out the statistical information about your battery, like cycle, health, maximum capacity and so on.

You have an older computer, and thus the battery might be old to and wants to die instead of just sleep.

3. norbichu thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your help. But I already took the initiative to mention that my battery is pretty new. It still holds 97% of it's initial charge, only had 100 cycles and from current daily experience I can get 2.5 hours easy, more if i turn the screen off and just listen to music.

So that's not the problem.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, I misread that.

But what is the actual full capacity in mAh?

And are you sure it really sleeps, no sound should be coming from the PB, as only the RAM is powered during sleep?

5. norbichu thread starter macrumors newbie

4207 currently.

When I close the lid I hear it stop everything and go silent. However it's usually in my bag or I am asleep during the sleep time, so I don't notice if any other activity has occured.

Thanks.