Powerbook g4 a1106

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mnowell69, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Mnowell69, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

I am in need of a new lcd panel for my powerbook (mine is pitted and has some pressure marks too). Which would be the best model to replace it with?
    i believe it has a B152EW01, certainly not a samsung model.
    Thanks

2. Mnowell69 thread starter macrumors regular

Mnowell69

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I can't make a recommendation based on specific models. I've replaced several LCDs, but all of them were the entire assembly (bezel, LCD, hinges, inverter and cables).

All of them I got as working parts of off dead Macs. If you want to go that route then I just suggest searching on eBay for a dead Mac of your type or just an LCD from that type.

Unless you are really good at puzzles, getting the back off of the LCD panel is a nightmare. Putting it back on is even worse. I did this once and never again. Beware the eBay trolls though. Lots of companies charge $300-400 just for an LCD when you can buy the entire thing from a dead Mac for $100 or less.

4. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Not sure what exactly to suggest on what model LCD to use, but I will say that if you have a standard resolution screen you cannot upgrade it to the hi-res version found in later PowerBooks.

You may have not been planning on that at all but I just wanted to share that info just in case. :)

5. Mnowell69 thread starter macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Buying the whole assembly is my main worry in case i get the same screen as the one i have. Its absolutely awful. Its the only screen i have ever had to calibrate ( in my life) to try and get some kind brightness out of it. Changing the assembly would be easy but i just hoped that i could choose the brightest (and best) screen available without playing russian roulette in ebay.
    Thanks for the responses.

Ps sadly i do know that the hi res wont go, very disappointing

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, the brightness going may be a result of the inverter dying. If you are constantly adjusting the brightness up that would be an indicator.

Replacing the entire thing would be a gamble yes, but the chances are good that you'll get a good inverter in the bargain. I paid $80 for the screen on the PowerBook I am typing this on and it's been just fine. The old screen had issues.