Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
UK
Machine
Model Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Processor Name; PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Processor Speed: 1.67 GHz

Airport
Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)

OS
Leopard 10.5.8 and have the latest software updates

Reason for this ?

I am having problems connecting to my local library wireless connection. I can see other networks while I am there but cannot connect to those because they are password protected, but I can't even see the library's network.

Funny thing is, I have come across other people in there using newer mac's and they can see the network and also connect with no problem spoken to them all and they say once they turn on the machine the network shows up.

I have been looking for the past couple of days on the internet through forums, apple support website and doing a bunch of reading with no joy. I wondering if I should try and delete the docs below (discovered this on the net) to see whether this makes a difference or is it because I have a powerpc and not intel processer.

SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist

I have a wireless router that I use at home and it connects with no problems it is not an Airport Base Station so I will not need to use the Airport Utility.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to give up but not sure what else to do.

:rolleyes:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
More than likely your library is using the 802.11n wireless standard. I believe that the best PowerBooks can achieve is the 802.11g standard (Airport Extreme).

If I'm right that's why you can see the networks but not connect to them.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
More than likely your library is using the 802.11n wireless standard. I believe that the best PowerBooks can achieve is the 802.11g standard (Airport Extreme).

If I'm right that's why you can see the networks but not connect to them.
But they're all compatible with eachother, if the aiport is g and the router is n, the router just throttles down to g. Correct me if I'm wrong though! It could be the card itself though, I've been through two on my eMac! -.-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.