Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maestro421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
I went to the Apple store yesterday to buy an ipad 2 and an iphone. I was told I also need to upgrade my "hub" computer to an intel based system so I can get my itunes music and photos on the ipad/iphone. is this true? is there a work around? Once icloud comes online, can I get the stuff off my Powerbook G4 that way?
Thanks

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I went to the Apple store yesterday to buy an ipad 2 and an iphone. I was told I also need to upgrade my "hub" computer to an intel based system so I can get my itunes music and photos on the ipad/iphone. is this true? is there a work around? Once icloud comes online, can I get the stuff off my Powerbook G4 that way?
Thanks

Another person who has questions but provides no info to help us answer. "PowerBook G4" could be one of 10+ models. Details man.. details.

The current iTunes does run on PowerPC but needs a G4 1.0GHz or higher but that is only to play video. You can see this right on the apple itunes page itself in the download page.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

My guess is the sales person lied to you to attempt to make a sale. That or they were just ignorant as many of the "geniuses" are.

Last edited:

Maestro421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Details

My apologies Zen.State for the lack of details. It is my first posting here.

It is a 15 inch Powerbook G4 with a 1.67 GHz processor, with 2GB DDR SDRAM. It is running OS 10.5.8.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
My apologies Zen.State for the lack of details. It is my first posting here.

It is a 15 inch Powerbook G4 with a 1.67 GHz processor, with 2GB DDR SDRAM. It is running OS 10.5.8.

That would be a perfect hub system. The only issue I can foresee is Apple will drop PowerPC support eventually with iTunes. All that means is you may not get access to new features and such. I don't think older versions of iTunes prevent new iOS updates though.

My advice is buy the portable devices now and an Intel Mac in a year or two.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Keep in mind, once iOS 5 and icloud are released, there is no need for the computer.

The one possible thorn in that is that over-the-air iOS updates may require an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule (the rumor is they will have a small area to cache iOS updates to push to devices. It's actually fascinating, they recognize which iOS device you have, which version of iOS, and automatically download and store system updates to push out to the devices when in wifi range). I'm not sure that's going to be entirely possible if someone isn't using an Apple router/TC (and an updated one at that), we'll see. It might be but just take a little while longer to download and install. We need more details from Apple.

As for purchases of Apps, Music, Books, and I'm sure eventually Videos, iCloud will handle all of that.

Once Apple does actually cut the cord from requiring computers for iPads (and iPhones) I think we'll start to see many people who only own iPads for their computer. (Apple still needs to work on making more printers compatible with the iPad)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.