PowerBook G4 and Leopard, is posible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by luke23, Jan 21, 2008.

1. luke23 macrumors member

Hi!

For sure is not the first time this question arises but I would like your opinion now +3 months has pasted since the Leopard release.

I am a PowerBook G4 user, the latest model before de Macbook Pro debuted 2 years ago. I have 1.5 GB of RAM, and my question is quite simple, does Leopard run well in this machine? By the specs recomendation in Apple's webpage the answer would be yes but I prefer your personal opinion and experience. I mean, things like if coverflow is very slow... this sort of thing.

I would apreciate any comment.

THANK YOUR VERY MUCH! ;)

PD. Sorry about my english.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think it runs fine. It's a bit bulky but I don't notice it being THAT much worse than Tiger. Coverflow does have a bit of a lag so I don't use it very much.

Depends on what you need from your powerbook. I use it to browse the web and do the occasional photoshop task and it's held up nicely. :)

Attached Files:

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I use Leopard on the same machine. It seemed to run a bit slowly, so I upgraded from 1 to 2 GB RAM, and now I don't really notice any problems.

5. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

At first it actually seemed a little faster than Tiger on mine (see sig), although I think that was the halo effect of a new release as it does seem a bit slower after running it for a while. Not "Vista coming from XP" slow, just a teeny bit slower. Enough to make the laptop show its age a little.

The extra RAM will definitely help, it'll probably run quite well with that... I suspect the main problem with mine is only having 768MB (doesn't seem worth spending £70 boosting it this late in the day)

6. luke23 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you to everyone!!!:D

No I feel more confident to upgrade (anyway, I made an image of my current state). The PowerBook is my main computer, I use it to browse, listen music with iTunes, store pictures with iPhoto, to blog, save my personal documents and accounting and that sort of things. I rarely use Photoshop or any heavy app I think. For watching videos my favourite is VLC.

I will upgrade as soo as possible (maybe this weekend) and I will try to inform in the forum for those who are in a similar situation. :eek: