PowerBook G4 and WPA wireless

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jony Mac, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Jony Mac, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I have a PB Ti G4 (Model: M8592LL/A) with the original Airport card. I cant get this to connect to WPA networks. WEP wireless works fine.

When I have a network set as WPA the PowerBook sees the network and when I attempt to join it recognizes it as a "WPA Personal" network, however I cannot join the network at all.

Is there anything I can do for this? Do I have to buy an Airport Extreme card??

2. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Also I have tried using a Linksys WCP54G wireless card, but cannot get any Mac drivers for this...

3. Skip Magnuson macrumors newbie

PB G4 WEP to WPA

HI Jbosi,
    I also have a PB G4 that use to connect to my old wireless but with my new Motorola modem/router/wireless it can only connect to the internet via Ethernet cable. I have an airport card in my G4 - if I change to an Airport Extreme card will it connect via WPA? Do you know? Now when I try to connect it indicates WEP which I guess is the old protocall.
    Skip

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

What version of Mac OS are you using? I've got a pair of TiBooks with original Airport cards connecting to my WPA networks.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The original Airport cards can do WPA, but only on 10.3.9 and above. If you're having trouble connecting, try turning off the router's N mode if it has it. I've found turning it off helps it connect.

6. Skip Magnuson macrumors newbie

WEP vs. WPA on G4 PowerBook

Hi Hradudu and Intell,
    Thanks for responding. I am running OS 10.4.11 on my G4 so that I can use Classic. I'm not sure what the N mode is on the router but I'll see if I can find it and turn it off. I'll report back on success or lack thereof.
    Thanks.
    Skip

7. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

MY Ti G4 is running 10.4.11..i have no N wireless only a G/B modem..WPA / WPA2 does not work...only WEP.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try setting your WPA to TKIP only. I don't think it works with AES.

9. kensenjiha macrumors newbie

I remember My PowerBook G4 doesn't support WPA, with Tiger. But Leopard is ok. Just upgrade to 10.5.x. :apple:

10. RobertMatthysen macrumors newbie

Unable to connect using WPA

I have a G4PB 867MHz, late 2002, with built-in airport card firmware v9.52 and OS 10.4.11. I can connect to WEP or none but not WPA/WPA2 with TKIP&/orAES, even 11b only, still won't connect. Strange that it recognizes all the flavours of WPA (wants pw) but no connection. Anybody, any clues?

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you tried setting your wireless to only WPA with TKIP?

I suggest you only do this as a test and not leave it in that configuration.

12. RobertMatthysen macrumors newbie

Yes I did and NG. Also upgraded to 10.5 then all the updates and still NG as a previous post suggested this was only a Tiger issue.
    Any more clues, is there a cheap airport card replacement that can be fitted to replace the present card?
    thanks,
    Robert

13. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Take a look on the card. If it says 128bit on it somewhere, then it will connect to a WPA encrypted network. If it doesn't have 128bit then its the first first generation and it'll never connect.

pac

14. jefflamonica macrumors newbie

PB Ti and MiFi hotspot WPA/WPA2

I am told that only AirPort Extreme cards, regardless of OS version, can do WPA2. I have a 1GHz PB Ti (DVI) running OS X 10.5 (with a regular AirPort Card) and still no dice. AirPort Extreme card is not compatible with my PB. Looking for an option -- maybe a USB wireless device which will connect to my Verizon/Novatel MiFi 4510L. Tried setting the MiFi to WPA security, but still won't connect.

I can see the MiFi device under the AirPort's menu bar icon, but login fails. In the Network preferences panel, I can see the device until I go to the Advanced pane. Then it doesn't show. Verizon was no help, although they've provided great cell phone support to me for a decade and a half.

Anyone have any ideas for options? I also have a G4/867 Quicksilver running 10.3.9 I'd like to get connected somehow too.

15. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

^^^ What about "Read The Friendly Manual" thing? It didn't help?
    You need to use a browser to configure your MiFi device first. Try set encryption to WPA and it should work. I use a Clamshell iBook with original AP card (w/ 10.4.11) and it "does" WPA without problems (but not WPA2 OFC). I've set my AP Express to WPA/WPA2 Presonal. IDK your specific Verizon device but AP must be restarted after encryption method change.

16. stroked, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

stroked Suspended

stroked

Can you explain how to set the AP express to WPA? I just bought the Verizon MiFi, and my newer iBook connects, but my TiBook will not.

edit, I am running Leopard on both Macs.

17. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

18. totallytech macrumors newbie

Hey, Sorry to pull up such an old thread but I am completely stuck with this one...

I have an iBook PowerPC G3 (900MHz) with 640MB Ram. The Airport card I have says 128 bit on it, and the firmware is 9.52 however it just refuses to connect to anything other than WEP or Open.

I need this to connect to a WPA network.

Is there anything I can do?

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What operating system are you currently running?

20. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

BIG bit of necessary information this thread didn't previously have:

The original AirPort card only works with WPA if it is WPA1, not WPA2. And it only works in OS X 10.3.9 or later.

WPA will not work, in any form, on OS 9 or in OS X 10.3.8 or earlier.

WPA2 will not work, in any OS, with an original AirPort card.

21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The device identifier is not available in the Apple AirPort drivers. A bit of Googling uncovered this. Use this at your own risk and discretion.

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You replied to a four year old post...

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sorry. Should have looked at the dates...

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No need to be sorry. This is a lovely thread that's come back before.

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well, for any PowerPC enthusiasts with that card, give those scripts a shot to see how they do...