PowerBook G4 battery won't charge

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Jun 11, 2014.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I've had my 12" PB plugged in for 24 hours, and the battery has gone from around 20-26%. Any idea why it's not charging? Is it just time for a new battery? It only lasts about 10 minutes anyway, but it's getting on my nerves. I've tried resetting the PMU and PRAM to no avail. I've also tried different chargers, but that didn't work. The icon just says, "Battery is not charging", however the light on the charger is orange. Should I just buy a new battery?
    Thx,
    jrsx

2. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

When it goes to zero can you start it but without it actually charging?. Like you have the charger in but it locks at 1%. I've had some old computers do this, and if you can start first check the battery status. I think it's time to replace the battery.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, the battery is gone. Period.

I have one that I got with the iBook G4 I just got. Left it in to charge up overnight, next morning it hadn't moved. But the one I put in from the dead 1.33 iBook works ok. I have the same thing with the battery in my 1.0Ghz PowerBook. So, it's just the batteries.

Beyond a certain point you can't expect anything anymore.

4. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

Alright, sounds good. The PB boots up fine w/out the battery in it, and will operate it seems. I will see about getting a new battery.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

On most of my older computers, when the battery is in that shape they are dead. I have a PowerBook that has similar issues (won't charge, charges intermittently, random shut off on battery, etc.). It is just a dead battery of old age. Remember to send your old battery to the iCloud responsibly through a recycler.