PowerBook G4 Battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rawweb, Jan 14, 2016.

1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

My 15" 1.67 PowerBook G4 no longer holds a charge. Any recommendations on where to get a new battery these days? I'm hoping it's an affordable repair.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

You can take your chances and spend $20-30 for one on Ebay, or buy a Newertech one from OWC for $80 or so.

The Newertech ones are excellent.

The Ebay ones are a mixed bag-I end up requesting replacement for one out of about every three I buy(Powerbook, iBook, Macbook, and Macbook Pro batteries across a variety of models). I've had ones that simply wouldn't charge, would charge once and then discharge, or would only charge halfway. If you get one, test it immediately and contact the seller if you have issues.

I've also had fit issues with cheap ones. TiBooks seem to suffer from this the worst(I've had batteries that wouldn't even correctly make contact) but iBook and AlBook batteries seem to sometimes stand a little bit proud of the case. One of my Macbooks came to me with an almost new aftermarket battery, and I had non-stop problems with the computer randomly turning off on battery power. It finally died completely with about 60 cycles(wouldn't charge) and I replaced it with a nearly unused Apple old stock one that has been perfect(these particular batteries can still be bought new from Apple, although I paid about half Apple's price).

3. rawweb, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I kind of figured OWC might be one of the only resources out there. Costs more than the puter!

Too bad there isn't a battery refurbishing service of some kind out there.

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Technically you could do it on your own, but it's complicated! I bought a cheap $13 battery for my PBG4 off eBay, at 59 cycles, it is at 69% of its original capacity. They use really cheap cells that don't last and advertise more capacity then they really have

5. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

The best I've found is to re-cell it with good cells:

forums.macrumors.com/threads/12-powerbook-battery-info-and-upgrades.1932355/

6. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Good info @flyrod. If I were more brave...

Just placed an order for a 'replacement' on eBay for 15 bucks. Thankfully with ebay buyer protection it's a slam duck either way. When it arrives, what should I do to make sure it's not a piece of junk MacCubed?

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Calibrate it and check the health info using Coconut Battery

8. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Thank you! I'll do this when it arrives, which, I'm sure will be a while. Free shipping!

It it works, 15 bucks for a new lease on life will be cool.

9. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Did you order from China? Mine came from California and came in 4 days

10. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Let us know how it goes! It would be nice to find a good source for these.

11. MultiFinder17, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I got a cheap $15 one on eBay a few months back for my 12" PowerBook. It started out at 100% health, then within a few cycles fell down to 80, and has been holding steady there for several months and several dozen cycles. I generally get around 4 hours out of it, so I'm happy enough. I only really use it on the battery when I'm not in my classroom, or if I'm out running errands after school and waiting around for something.

It's a shame that OWC doesn't seem to make batteries for the 12" PowerBook; you'd think that they would be one of the more popular sellers, especially seeing as how they still have batteries available for the TiBooks.

12. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Good to hear...here's a link to what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221865804744

13. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Main issue that you will find with the cheap batteries is poor capacity and the glue that holds the aluminum plate onto the bottom of the battery melts when the battery gets hot

14. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Yikes! That's a scary thought! I guess at this point anythings better than no capacity at all. I just couldn't see spending 80 bucks on one either.

15. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

The advertised 5200mAh is not true, and it really is. Just keep a charger on you!

16. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

The battery is due to arrive today. Just wanted to clarify since there is no real 'conditioning' process as far as I can tell.

Charge it full. Remove from AC. Let it die. Charge to full. Let it Die. Complete?

17. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yup

18. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Well this is strange. Not sure if I did something wrong or not, but I might have somehow bricked this battery...

After taking it out of the package I made notice when pressing the button that two green dots appeared and showed a charge. I installed it in the laptop, plugged in the AC adapter and booted into OS X. The AC adapter shows orange, which I expected. Booting into OS X I was presented with this:

Picture 1.png

Removing the power cord shuts down the computer entirely. Very confused here. When it first turned on I detected the odor of...well..a battery and the battery was warm to the touch. Now I don't really feel much heat at all and no green dots when pressing the battery indicator.

19. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

It suddenly started charging. Not quite sure what was going on. It's been going for about an hour now, 32 minutes until full. I guess I'll go ahead with the conditioning process...

Attached Files:

20. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Update on this posting, unfortunately, I never did get the battery to work. I only had it fully charged maybe once or twice then it was completely dead, wouldn't charge. I initiated a return with the ebay seller.

Sad, I was hoping to get the old PB running on her own again. I fear buying another battery, perhaps something is either wrong with the PB or charger itself. I have no way to test as I don't know anyone else currently with a PowerBook.

21. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

The first screenshot showed a voltage of 8.5 volts which was way too low. These batteries should never get under 9v (3v/cell) as such a low voltage kills a li-ion battery pack.

22. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

From the voltage readings, it was probably just a bum battery. Especially with the cheap ones, it's a bit of a crapshoot. Get your money back via eBay and give it another go. Having a PowerBook off its leash is worth the wait!

23. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I highly recommend AGPTEK batteries (they happen to make 15in Batteries, was planning to get one before I killed my laptop by accident). I have a 12-cell mega capacity battery for my Dell that works extremely well and isn't "cheap" by any means. The advertised information matches the battery and it lasts for a really long time under normal usage. Here's a link to the PBG4 one: http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/130651739299

24. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Thank you! At this point I'm only out the return packaging I had to get with USPS. Honestly shocked this shady seller wanted the item back, it cost more for them to return ship (and original free shipping) it than to just let me junk it. They'll probably try to rebuild it and sell it to another hopeful bright eyed dude like me.

@Gamer9430, I will give that link some consideration, thanks for pointing it out!

25. swamprock macrumors regular

I try to buy from the sellers that require a shipping charge. You avoid the new shady- selling something with no shipping cost, and hope that the buyer won't bother to waste time, money, and energy to return the item. Profit!