PowerBook G4 Battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kingmontmorency, Dec 10, 2007.

1. kingmontmorency macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a 1.67 ghz PowerBook G4 and I recently upgraded to Leopard -- who would have thought that my battery life would have tanked!

My iStat widget says my battery has been through 285 cycles and is at 65% health so I figure that it is time for a new battery.

Any ideas on where the best place to buy is? I'm looking to expand the capacity if possible and I want something that won't blow up on me or melt.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

OWC sells their NewerTech brand and FastMac also carries their own brand...both are extended capacity batteries and have good reputations.

3. kingmontmorency thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

BatteryRefill.com didn't work well for me

I liked the idea of not tossing my battery in the trash and buying a new one, so I tried BatteryRefill.com, who will install brand new cells into one's existing battery for about $80.

It turned out to be only a lukewarm experience. I sent the battery in last December and when they returned the "refilled" battery, it was DOA. I returned it to them and it took them three months to return it to me again. The new battery dropped to 80% after just 10 recharge cycles and I returned it a second time. This time it took them two months to return it to me.

I complained that they had posession of my battery for nearly six months of the one year warranty period and asked if they'd extend my warranty and they said no, they wouldn't.

The third attempt, the battery was at 80% again after only six recharge cycles. I contacted them again and they agreed to a refund after I returned the battery to them so that they could put my original (nearly useless) cells back into it. Apparently they keep the customer's original cells during the warranty period in case they need to process a refund.