Powerbook G4 Camcorder Compatibility

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by b4peace, Aug 4, 2014.

1. b4peace macrumors newbie

b4peace

Hello,

I have a G4 Powerbook OSX 10.4.11 and love it! But, I'm having a problem finding a new camcorder that is compatible. I have been using a Samsung DV tape camcorder (which are now obsolete) but it broke recently, and I'm now looking to replace it (hopefully) with a new camcorder that is compatible with my Powerbook.

I know I'm asking for the moon, but wondered if there are any astronauts out there who can help me ?

Thanks. :)

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, your options are *VERY* limited as far as modern camcorders go. The vast majority of modern camcorders record in AVCHD format. And I don't know of any video editing software that runs on a G4 that will import and edit AVCHD.

I think your best bet if you want "reasonably modern" is to go for an HDV camcorder. Those use miniDV tapes, but record in HD to them. Same "rewind, get to the point you want, plug in to the computer via FireWire, and import at 'real time'" difficulties, but it does work.

If you can find an older MPEG-2 HD solid-state camcorder (they were short lived, since AVCHD took over quickly,) that would be best, but good luck finding one.

See also iMovie '08: Camcorder Support

3. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Im charging an on Sony Handicam to see if it works, which is might.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Older Sony Handycams are pretty good...

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Tiger doesn't like it, it doesn't see it in iMovie HD, but it might work on a newer version of iMovie. It records in MPG, but quicktime doesn't like it either.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I made a general statement. I know many people who use Sony Handycams in iMovie HD that are a bit older just fine. What model are you trying this with?

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Its the Sony Handycam DCR-SR42.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Sony was known for making custom camcorders that weren't compatible with much, other than Sony's own editing software. Thankfully, that time was short.

But every "microMV" camcorder (a short-lived ultra-small tape format,) and the vast majority of Sony's hard-drive based standard definition (not HD) camcorders are incompatible messes. Their HD ones are generally fine.

But Sony miniDV and HDV camcorders are all great, fully compatible.

9. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I just want one that is "cheap but good" for movie making. I don't want Hollywood quality, but something more akin to documentary quality. I keep hunting...

10. b4peace thread starter macrumors newbie

b4peace

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback - it seems like a lost cause, though.

I could buy a used Mini DV camcorder (that's what I had that broke recently) as you can't buy them new anymore - but they're older models, have been much used and may not work for very long.

I found a camcorder guy to repair mine, which he did a few months back but it broke again (it's almost 9 years old!!! - and was under a renewable warranty, for all that time, until last year when they decided to not renew the warranty anymore because, of course, it's obsolete.)

So now, my only option seems to be to buy a used Macbook and new camcorder.

Any suggestions on buying a used Macbook?

Thanks for all the help.

:rolleyes:

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well if you must get a new MacBook I recommend getting something along the lines of a 2009 or 2010 unibody white MacBook. The 2010 models can have up to 16 GB of RAM when needed and can have a SSD added at a later time. The 2009+ MacBook Pros are still good too!